XP registry cleaner?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tacocaster

Hey all, I'm currently running XP Pro SP2 and I'm looking for a recommended registry cleaner. I was poking through there the other day and noticed iTunes had left some things behind and I would like them to go. Any reccomendations?

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
I agree to "CCleaner," but I also use "EasyCleaner," employing ONLY the "Registry" and "Unnecessary" features. {redoak}

Tacocaster

Anything I need to watch out for when using CCleaner?

EDIT*

Interesting, when I went to install CCleaner, I accepted the EULA, chose an install directory, and clicked install, then nothing happened. The applications went away in the task manager. No new progams in my start menu. No new shortcuts. Any ideas?

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
I just let it "do its thing." There has never been a problem created. You do have to make some choices as to what you want left 'un-cleaned,' however. I ALWAYS create a restore point in System Restore before I do any "cleaning' of any kind with anyprogram(s). {redoak}

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Is using ERUNT better than establishing a Restore Point, at least in MS systems that provide "System Restore?" I have my icons set up so that it is very convenient to first create a Restore Point before running through what I term "Shutdown Apps."

When you clean your registry and have a problem, ERUNT will just restore your registry, but system restore could restore other things that you may or may not want.
I would still use system restore and ERUNT. Then if you have a major problem, I would run the ERUNT restore first, which will probably clear up the problem, but if not then I would run system restore.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online