1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP registry problem--annoying "run as" pop up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Merna, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Merna

Merna Thread Starter

• I've fixed all issues from a recent attack and am left with annoying pop up "run as" which user do I want to access the program with...I get this a lot...I am the only user;
    • seems i need to disable autorun; i seem to need to find: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutorun---in my registry,
    • only my registry doesn't have this...it has HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CE2CDD62-0124-36CA-84D3-9F4DCF5C5BD9}.KB953595
    • basically all i want to do at this point is stop this pop up...
    • i've done XP repair; figured out how to get a admin password; get rid of some other garbage the viral/trojans dumped on me;

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try THIS first.

If no luck, try THIS.

3. Merna

Merna Thread Starter

Thanx, Phantom...but the first one didn't fix it; the 2nd one gets me back to my original problem in my post..i don't have the registry item they mention; i only have

• only my registry doesn't have this...it has HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CE2 CDD62-0124-36CA-84D3-9F4DCF5C5BD9}.KB953595
    any ideas on this?

4. Merna

Merna Thread Starter

Thanx, Phantom...but the first one didn't fix it; the 2nd one gets me back to my original problem in my post..i don't have the registry item they mention; i only have

• only my registry doesn't have this...it has HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CE2 CDD62-0124-36CA-84D3-9F4DCF5C5BD9}.KB953595
    any ideas on this?

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You have to create it, following the example.

6. Merna

Merna Thread Starter

still struggling with the "run as" ...did what you said...even did what they said http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830568/en-us--did what leo laporte says...

makes no difference...i only have to identify myself 3 times for each program...i may just have to re-install XP--darn it! thanx a lot any way...if you think of something else, please let me know...seems like in the Registry: default--REG_SZ value not set...maybe i should just modify that to 1....interestingly, even though I am the admin of my computer again, I can't delete this "other" user...

7. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

instead of a complete reinstall, just try a repair install

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You could go into H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Classes>AppID and change the only entries which don't show Interactive User in the right hand pane so that they do.

9. Merna

Merna Thread Starter

thanks everyone for your input...while i've been able to get back admin privileges, i can't do an "R"...it keeps telling me my password is not valid...so much for repairs...i know my password is valid because that's the only way i can get into my "stuff et al"...i've decided to do a "clean XP install" got those all important codes (i hope) and am now backing up stuff...actually i've decided to go to "carbonite.com" for their free trial and may even purchase it...beats my backing up stuff to CD's and my flash drive (which has other problems right now)...so thanks again and my best to all of you....i'll be busy re-installing everything...what fun!

10. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

This is the first I've read about a password issue but so long as you enjoy reinstalling XP..... Was that "other user" ASP.NET by any chance? Did you try Safe Mode? Did you follow Phantom's suggestion in Post #5? We're really only starting on this but can't go any further if it's a password issue, I'm afraid.

11. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

you tried to repair it using the Recovery Console. That is NOT what you want. Go through the normal XP install, but when it asks for a partition to install it from, select your existing and then select the Repair XP Installation

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice