1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp reinstall not working - why?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by voltage, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voltage

voltage Thread Starter

Hi I hope some one can help, I have a fujistu scaleo 600 pc with xp home edition. I had to reinstall xp from the fujistu recovery cd and have carried it out to the letter. The problem I get is during install an error message comes up saying "some files on the windows xp home edition service pack 1 cd are needed - insert windows xp home edition service pack 1 cd into the drive selected and click ok.
    the file that shows in the dialoge box which it seems to be looking for it d:\i386. Ive tried clicking the browse button tho locate the file myself but my d: drive dosnt show up only c: and 4 removable drives e-h (which dont exist).

This problem is driving me crazy Ive tried the process a couple of times and it keeps happening, Ive clicked to cancle the file and windows carries on installing but its not right, the instructions say after install to insert the drivers cd which will do a quick system check but at this point I get a runtime error - invalid systax.

Some one please help.

Thank you in advance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    drive D should be the CD/DVD drive are you doing a complete reformat and deleting the existing partition??
    give the CD a good clean too

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Since you are using the recovery partition there is something going wrong because this should be a full install overwriting all on the drive and there should be nothing interfering with it. I would suggest calling the tech support for the manufacturer of the computer and either have them walk you thru the recovery and/or help you make a recovery install disk either CD-R or DVD for use other than the recovery partition.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice