1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp reinstall on drive E (formerly drive C) or change system volume letter

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Omin, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omin

Omin Thread Starter

Hi,

Ok, here's the situation, I want to install XP Pro on a former XP HE (I say former because there are so many corrupt/damaged system files that no Win DVD, or live CDs can recognize it..), on a Vaio VGN-A617B laptop.
    I would prefer to do a factory recovery from the recovery partition but there seem to be some problems too, it can't set up properly.

In short:
    I got the error "unmountable drive" after a system crash.
    After trying unsuccessfully to repair it with the recovery console doing chkdsk/fixboot/fixmbr, I tried to replace the files using the repair option on a Win DVD (not from the recovery console) but it couldn't see any previous Windows installations and only listed the partitions leaving me with set up/create/delete options.
    I made a BartPE DVD to copy and save some personal files on an external drive.
    Unfortunately, BartPE completely messed up the drive/partition letters and gave the letter E to the external drive, but E was the hidden vaio recovery partition, so C was assigned to it...
    After restarting the laptop and unplugging the external drive, the vaio recovery partition kept the letter C, and E was given to the system volume...

So, now I am left with a laptop that tries to boot from the unworking recovery partition (it worked before the letter change), and a useless system volume that doesn't work.

I tried to change the letters and give back the E to the vaio recovery partition hoping that it would work but I can't,I tried diskpart using ERD commander, seemed to work but when I rebooted nothing was changed. I can't load the registry since windows isn't recognized so I can't change them from there either.

So now I think that all I'm left with is using the XP DVD to reinstall the OS, but I can't install it on C since it's the recovery partition (7000MB in size), so I don't have many options, I must install it on E... (there's D too but I wish to keep it intact).

Would it be a problem?

Does anyone know of a way to change the partition letters? (knowing that I can't load the registry in a live CD and that doing diskpart from a cmd prompt in a live CD didn't change anything).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice