1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP reinstall question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jimbanville, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimbanville

Jimbanville Thread Starter

Hi everybody :)
    I have an Asus netbook (don't laugh) with XP home. It's just a back up computer, but I'd like to format and install a clean version of XP home without all the bloat from the factory install. It has no optical drive. I understand a lot of people put Linux on these, but I wanna stay with windows. I see some folks on eBay (with a lot of positive feedback, btw) selling a recovery USB stick for around $20 that they claim will repair and/or reinstall XP. I assume I just use the 25 digit key on the bottom of my computer to register it. I already paid Microsoft for the license for the use of XP on this computer. Will this work? Thanks!!!!

2. Jimbanville

Btw, here's the seller's info ...
    solutions4issues (714)
    100.0% Positive feedback

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the XP from eBay is really legal and genuine (and XP Home) it will work. Even if the XP is pirated it may work because you are going to use your own genuine Product Key. The danger, if it is pirated, is that sometimes those come with a malware bonus.

Do you have a Recovery Partition? If so, and if you can make a Recovery USB flash drive, it would be worth it to create one just in case something goes wrong with the purchased XP. That way at worst you could go back to factory defaults and clean up the unwanted bloat fairly quickly. Some people use The PC Decrapifier for that.

4. Jimbanville

Judging by his feedback, I trust its virus free. I'm not interested in trying to clean up the stock OS

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice