1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP reinstallation help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JohniE, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohniE

JohniE Thread Starter

Im trying to reinstall WinXP onto my computer which already has XP on it. I wanted to restore my computer with nothing but XP on it and not all the junk so i borrowed a friends XP cd to do this but when it ask for my product key and i put it in it doesnt take it.

I used some program to get my product key and i put it in and it didnt work, so i put in the product key on the side of my computer case and that dindt work either.

Can someone please tell me where i can get my real product key?

2. Pat C

Pat C

Hi,
    The correct Product key should be the one on the side of your computer. When I re-installed mine, I couldn't get the product key to work either. I called Microsoft and they helped solve the problem. It was very fast and easy. :)
    Good luck.

3. JohniE

JohniE Thread Starter

i entered the product key thats on the side of my case and it doesnt work

4. JohniE

JohniE Thread Starter

BTW is it free to call microsoft?

5. Pat C

Pat C

I know, mine didn't work either but when you call microsoft, they'll ask for that number and will help you solve the problem. They gave me a new number. Yes it was a free call. Sorry I don't have the number now but I'm sure it's listed on their site somewhere.

6. JohniE

JohniE Thread Starter

whats microsofts number? i went to the website and i only get other companys phone number

7. Pat C

Pat C

I'll try to find it for you. The number was given to me by the store that sold me the pc but I didn't keep it. Sorry.

8. Pat C

Pat C

9. JohniE

JohniE Thread Starter

thanks alot man

thats microsoft canada though do you think it matters?
    do you think i will be charged if im in the US?

10. Pat C

Pat C

Gee, I really don't know. Tried to get the same info on the US site but it's far more complicated to get a number. I'll do another search and see what I can come up with. Glad I live in CANADA, it was much easier for me. :)

11. Pat C

Pat C

12. JohniE

JohniE Thread Starter

My computer didnt come with a WinXP cd when i bought it so thats why im using a friends. I dont see whats illegal about it im not using his key im trying to use my own.

13. AllSeeing

AllSeeing

Hi all,
    have you tried rescuing XP, when it asks for a password, I just hit enter (after trying many suspected passwords(it worked for me)), because think about it, if your installing/upgrading, it crashes, and you dont have the password, then how are you going to know it on rescue?(paradox!).
    I am fairly sure that i found my product key in one of the windows config/data files some where in (drive)\windows\.......(sorry, forgot(don't tell anyone will you!)).
    The CD might have a key in its data file (if exists), and maybe encoded.

good luck!

14. Pat C

Pat C

Well, if your PC came with Win XP then I think you should have been given a CD. If you have a product code, then I guess you're legal. :)
    Please let us know if you solve your problem.
    Thanks

15. AllSeeing

AllSeeing

oh yer,
    I forgot to mention, if your computer is a dell, or other computer that came with XP pre installed, 1. did you get an microsoft XP card/certificate with it, and 2. if so is there writing on the front that says that the serial/code has been removed by the manufacturer. if so, 3. then it is possible that the code is "inside" windows, it knows where to look for it in the event of a system repair. if the cserial/code is missing, contact the company that sold you the computer (with all recipts/paper work ready), and try to get another one/original.
    good luck!.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice