XP repair -- can't fix "file asms needed" error message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

daniellez023

I'm trying to repair Windows XP on my laptop (because I got the blue screen of death and a bunch of my drivers don't work) by booting it from the original Reinstall Service Pack 1 disk that came with my laptop. I click setup, and then repair, get partway through and get the "files asms needed" message.

I tried this fix, which was posted on one of these forums previously:
"The machine is not communicating with the CD-ROM.
When the message appears, type: Shift+F10 to enter a command session.
Type: regedit.exe at the prompt.
Highlight the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry.
Go to the File menu and choose Load Hive.
Then, load %Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav
Give it a short name that you will remember, like "Test".
Then, find this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Delete UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS keys.
Do the same for ControlSet2 and any other numbered ControlSet keys you see.
Exit regedit."

I do the first five steps, no problem. My problem is that when i look for the key, under ControlSet001, there is no such key -- no control or class folders, just a services folder. I make the changes under controlset002 and 006, then exit regedit. The error message remains. I click Ok and nothing happens. I click "cancel" and it gives the setup a fatal error. I've also tried changing the drive to d:/ or e:/, with no luck.

Help! How do I get past this?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online