XP Repair Console Dangers?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Larrylowtech

I think I need to run the repair console but hope someone can tell me if this is a bad or good idea.
I have XP Pro SP2.

I have a long thread here about a back up problem but appreciate your suggestions on repairing XP.

Short story. I have no back ups and seem to be unable to get one using Acronis. BIOS recognizes drives but only my C drive shows in My Computer.

Since I don't have a back up, what dangers are there for losing data with a repair? If there are any, how can I eliminate or minimize the risk of wiping out my data?

I don't know if this is the problem but I can't see how it can hurt as long as nothing goes wrong.
Also, I saw reference to ERD Commander (Windows Diagnostic and repair tool) and dowloaded it. Could this help?

As always, I really appreciate your help.

Larry

The first thing you need to do is install the drive in another PC and see if you can copy your data off and then you will have no danager of losing your data. If you do not do this you will have a high likelyhood or losing data.

And I'm not sure what your issue is, you say you can see your C: drive in my computer so I assume that your booted into Widnows. Do you have drives that aren't showing? What is your problem that you are having?

Larrylowtech

Thank you for your interest and help, lawson_jl.

I have been trying since New Years Day to get a back up of my hard drive and clone an image to a new hard drive.

In this thread, I talk about the new drive problems.

In this thread, , Windows doesn't recognize any drives other than C

All drives show up in BIOS.
I have been trying to use Acronis for back up and imaging. I had TrueImage V9 but upgraded to TrueImage 2009 when these problems didn't resolve.

Prior to New Years Day, I was able to do full and incremental back ups.

The only drive that is in My Computer is C

If I use the back up option, only my C drive is available.
If I use the "add new hard drive" option, it recognizes all drives.
To clone a drive, my USB external doesn't show, but my new HD does.

However, performing the cloning operation takes forever.
I have let it run 18 hours to get to 53%. then cancelled.
Previously, a full back up (when it worked) took, maybe, 6-8 hours.
I have tried this numerous times from Windows as well as the Acronis boot disk.

I don't think the problem is Acronis and don't think it's hardware because of BIOS recognizing all drives.
That leaves me with Windows.

I have a lot of irreplacable programs and data so I don't want to wipe out the drive

I've read your other post and it actually sounds like a hardware problem. It could be the mobo, cables or the drives themselves. I'd strip the system down to the bare bones and work my way up from there.

Larrylowtech

Thanks for responding
How would I start to check the mobo?
Cables, I understand what to do.
I have tried in various positions. Primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave

If you boot with the WinXP O/S CD, choose the Repair option then at the command prompt type chkdsk /f/r then press the Enter key. Let it finish then reboot your computer. This will fix or replace any corrupt system files, and won't wipe any data from your drive.

Larrylowtech

Plantsman, thank you.

When using chkdsk, you say "/f"
Is that correct or should it be "/c"?

lawson_jl, had a question. I'm certainly not an expert or else I wouldn't be asking for advice.
I was trying to figure this out.
Here's my logic which could be wrong.
If cables or mobo were bad, would bios recognize all the drives? And would certain portions of Acronis recognize the drives?

Thanks

Larry

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
When using chkdsk, you say "/f"
Is that correct or should it be "/c"?
It should actually be CHKDSK /P
/F and /C are not options in the Recovery Console.

If you wish to do a sector scan to attempt to recover data from bad sectors, the option is /R (which imlies /P as well).

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, I see WhitPhil is not here and you are....I will post this extraction from Microsoft just to help you out tonite:

Microsoft said:
CHKDSK

chkdsk (drive) /p /r yes you may have to specify a drive, and also use a colon like, C: or, E:
The chkdsk command checks the specified drive and repairs or recovers the drive if the drive requires it. The command also marks any bad sectors and it recovers readable information.

You can use the following options:
/p Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors.
/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. the "r" is not required as WhitPhil etc, already posted......

Note If you specify the /r option, the /p option is implied. When you specify the chkdsk command without arguments, the command checks the current drive with no options in effect.

Here it is explained very simply http://www.windowsreinstall.com/articles/xpcommandline/chkdskcommandline.htm

Here in very good detail, check down page to "Chkdsk with Recovery Console" http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

There are as you can read there, 3 different ways to run a chkdsk..... but they do different things, so it is good to understand them all....

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/I] [/C] [/L[:size]]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
filename FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to check for fragmentation
/F Fixes errors on the disk.
/V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file
on the disk.
On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
(implies /F).
/L:size NTFS only: Changes the log file size to the specified number
of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current
size.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid
(implies /F).
/I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.
/C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder
structure.

The /I or /C switch reduces the amount of time required to run Chkdsk by
skipping certain checks of the volume.

Yes I was confusing the Windows command prompt chkdsk selection as above with the Recovery chkdsk which just has P and R switches. Sorry for the blip!

Larrylowtech

Thanks for all the detail, Plantsman.
That clears up a lot
Right now, I'm trying, again, to do a clone to the new disk
I'm about 9 hours into it and 34% progress
When (if) it finishes, I will run chkdsk and report back if any problems

Larrylowtech

Here's the update.
Tried again to clone an image to the new disk. Took about 30 hours.
Wouldn't boot from the new drive. Made sure jumpers were set correctly to master and tried cable select. No difference.
Get a disk boot error
Got a bright idea to run Windows repair on the new drive to see if helped. No difference.
Something that was weird. In Bios with only the new drive hooked up as Primary master, it showed as a slave.
Hooked the new drive as a slave and it showed in My Computer. A cursory look showed that there are lots of files. Even in the Windows folder.

Hooked the old drive up by itself and ran chkdsk /p. I don't know if it reports errors but none showwed on the screen.
Checked Event Viewer (for the old drive only).
The only thing that showed any errors was "Service Control Manager"
I don't know if it's significant.
Here's what Microsoft says:

Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED
Message: The %1 service failed to start due to the following error:
%2
There were 2 different "Event ID"-7000 and 7009

Thanks for your patient help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online