Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP repair turned into another install by accident

495 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  motivated 
#1 ·
Guy that used to work on my cousins comp is no longer available.

I was given the comp to see if I could get it going. On booting up all there was was a blue screen with an error message about there being no boot sector or something.

I wanted to do a repair so I put the cd in and hit enter when it said do a fresh install, accepted the agreement, then expected (as per directions) that I would have a choice of a new install or repair. But instead I was sitting in front of 3 partitions. I thought the obvious partition for windows to be on would be C:

I selected 'C' and then selected to install saving current files (or something like that). Other alternatives all involved format.

Next thing its doing a fresh install, I was still waiting for the chance to repair, I thought it would give me a chance to go back if I made a mistake.

After loading files the computer re-booted to continue the installation, but before continuing with the installation all these errors were repaired in 'D'. Now when I boot up i'm asked which operating system to start with a choice of 2 versions of windows XP.

First I want to know how to remove the 2nd installation. I believe just deleting the windows folder wont do it, there will still be the option of which operating system to use at start-up.

Next thing is, looking at 'D' drive. In Documents and Settings/Owner there is a folder Windows, the only thing it contains is a folder 'System' and it appears to be empty. There is also another folder Windows folder at C:/Windows, which I believe is my install (error), then theres D:/Windows which I believe is the original.

I believe it was CA Anti-Virus that started the initial problems as it wont start properly.

Any assistance appreciated

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.