1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP restarting while booting.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by olivercoles, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. olivercoles

olivercoles Thread Starter

I just installed my copy of XP home and it works fine except for one thing...

I have a 2.4B pentium and when I was running 98SE I had it clocked to 2.88 without any problems at all, temps would never get higher than 43oC.

However with XP if I have it clocked this high my system just restarts after the POST, and lowing the FSB a few Mhz can let me boot windows but it randomly restarts after a few seconds.

What is causing this? I know it's not a hardware problem because I have been running at max speed for 2 months on 98.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Do you have the HDD running off a Promise Card? . . I have seen this on two systems and both were using a Promise card. I moved the HDD back to the motherboard and it quit.

Wish I knew why?

3. olivercoles

yeah! I have a Promise RAID controller intergrated in my Asus P4PE Motherboard.

It must be an incompatabillity with XP!

I'll let microsoft and Asus know.

Maybe a BIOS update will do the trick? I'm upto date though so i'll have to wait for a new version.

4. olivercoles

any other ideas???

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Well, . . one of the two pc's I saw this on was a Asus P4PE . . the other is an Intel P4 2.4 533mhz on an Intel 845GEBVL motherboard.

I wonder if there is an issue with promise cards and XP?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!