1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Run command shell extension (right-click context menu)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pwl2706, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pwl2706

pwl2706 Thread Starter

Hi all

At my old job I had a right-click context menu command in Windows XP called "Run".

What this did was, rather than running the command prompt, it would open the "Run" dialog from the Start menu with the full path to the file or folder I right-clicked on, then I could copy that path...

How can I change the registry or write a script that would do something similar, or even copy the path to the clipboard?

thanks,

2. meganoob

meganoob

Have a look at your p..//z4ui and let me know if its running on an outlet source please.:)

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

pwl2706
    Welcome to Tech Support Guy

If you drag and drop the file or folder into the run cmd box it will then display the path
    then of course right click and copy
    although the point of it is lost on me, it must I am sure be me that is missing it
    Of course if it is a system file - do not run it

Alternatively please see this to add the run to the right click menu
    http://www.petri.co.il/add_command_prompt_here_shortcut_to_windows_explorer.htm

Please see
    Method #2: Send to Toys

last line of the options is to add run and download is below.
    I have no knowledge of the download, its relaiability or indeed effectiveness

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

This should do what you want.
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/add-copy-as-path-right-click-menu-in-xp/
    The CopyPath.reg will add a menu item when you hold down the Shift key when right clicking a file.
    Click Copy as Path on the menu and it automatically copies the path to the clipboard.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Another way - in Windows Explorer if you go to Tools > Folder Options > View and tick the 'Display full path in the address bar' option you can simply right-click in the address bar > Copy

This will not include the filename though.

6. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

pwl2706
    You asked for advice on 22 Jan

Three people made suggestions
    Would you respond please
    Thank you

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice