XP Run command shell extension (right-click context menu)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pwl2706

Hi all

At my old job I had a right-click context menu command in Windows XP called "Run".

What this did was, rather than running the command prompt, it would open the "Run" dialog from the Start menu with the full path to the file or folder I right-clicked on, then I could copy that path...

How can I change the registry or write a script that would do something similar, or even copy the path to the clipboard?

thanks,

Have a look at your p..//z4ui and let me know if its running on an outlet source please.:)

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
pwl2706
Welcome to Tech Support Guy

If you drag and drop the file or folder into the run cmd box it will then display the path
then of course right click and copy
although the point of it is lost on me, it must I am sure be me that is missing it
Of course if it is a system file - do not run it

Alternatively please see this to add the run to the right click menu
http://www.petri.co.il/add_command_prompt_here_shortcut_to_windows_explorer.htm

Please see
Method #2: Send to Toys

last line of the options is to add run and download is below.
I have no knowledge of the download, its relaiability or indeed effectiveness

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
Hi all

At my old job I had a right-click context menu command in Windows XP called "Run".

What this did was, rather than running the command prompt, it would open the "Run" dialog from the Start menu with the full path to the file or folder I right-clicked on, then I could copy that path...

How can I change the registry or write a script that would do something similar, or even copy the path to the clipboard?

thanks,
This should do what you want.
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/add-copy-as-path-right-click-menu-in-xp/
The CopyPath.reg will add a menu item when you hold down the Shift key when right clicking a file.
Click Copy as Path on the menu and it automatically copies the path to the clipboard.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Another way - in Windows Explorer if you go to Tools > Folder Options > View and tick the 'Display full path in the address bar' option you can simply right-click in the address bar > Copy

This will not include the filename though.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
pwl2706
You asked for advice on 22 Jan

Three people made suggestions
Would you respond please
Thank you

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online