Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP running amok

655 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  The_Oracle 
#1 ·
Hi- Wow, am I messed up, At least my computer is. I'm using a 6 + yr old
Dell Dimension 2350. I'm running Win XP Home Ed. 512 rm I subscribe to microsoft
updates. Well I've got every downloaded update they have to offer. My
computer seems to be doing it's own thing half the time. I've lost my task
bar icons, toolbar icons and various other objects. I can't open my favorites list without searching. I've thought about reinstalling Win XP off of the disc but, I downloaded sp2 and the disc is sp1 and won't run. Do
you have any suggestions? Thanks, pluto.45@live.com

#3 ·
You've got XP SP2 installed and you're trying to reload XP SP1 CD within the Windows desktop.

It's not going to work because you can't reload an older XP version that way.

You need to boot from the XP CD, delete all current partitions, create a new C partition, format it in the NTFS file system, then install XP SP1.

Once XP SP1 is installed, install the SP3 upgrade. There's no need to install the SP2 upgrade first.

------------------------------------------------------------------

You classify yourself as a "Beginner", so I suggest you get some knowledgeable help to do it for you.

You also need to save on CD-R's whatever personal data you want because the above process will wipe out the hard drive and lose everything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
I've thought about reinstalling Win XP off of the disc but, I downloaded sp2 and the disc is sp1 and won't run. Do you have any suggestions?
no reason to give up. download SP3 and slipstream it into your Windows XP SP1 installation CD.

guides are plenty, nLite is a very popular program to simplify the process of service pack, bugfix and driver integration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.