1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP safe mode boots to a black screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dave Danger, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dave Danger

Dave Danger Thread Starter

Having a problem with my sister's XP system. It boots up fine normally, then Norton pops up a warning that trojan.vundo has been found and can't be automatically removed. Went to the Symantec site and downloaded their manual remover and followed the instructions... restore off, disconnect from the net, etc. The scanner remover runs, and does locate a few files that it says are suspicious, then pops up at the end and says that trojan.vundo has not been found. The warning message never disappears from the screen at any time. I then tried to boot the computer in safe mode to attempt the same scan/remove.

This is where my real problem occurs, the safe mode prompts all work as advertised, eventually reaching the welcome screen with a default graphics driver. I select ANY username and the system completes booting into a safe mode window, complete with the words "Safe Mode" in all four corners... and absolutely nothing else. It's a totally black screen. No icons, No start button, No nothing. The mouse navigates, but no amount of clicking or double clicking does anything. I can ctrl-alt-del and produce the task manager. I can tab between the applications, processes, networking and such, and have to eventually use the task manager to either log off, exit windows or restart the computer.

At this point, I'm more concerned about the safe mode failure than I am the trojan. I can solve that problem with one of several scanners that I've downloaded, but I really want to knock out this black screen.

Any ideas ???

2. Randolf34

Randolf34 Banned

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/06/20/Technology/Download_removal_tool.shtml asks
    how to remove trojan. vundo in this article that recommends use of the following found
    at: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

The Microsoft AntiSpyware Remover is one specific tool recommended for systems the
    trojan downloader infects. Although the current build expires 12/31/05, a new release
    is scheduled for january 2006. Give this one a try. Your problem has similar posts on a
    number of other forums with the same Symantec/Norton problems.

3. Demeleo

Demeleo

I this is my very first post, so tell me if there is any rules that i broke,
    My friends have a sort of similar problem as Dave.
    They use XP Home. They recently installed a DJ Program, bpm or bmp studio. after that they began to get problems. Xp booted normally but when you log in as any user there is no desktop icons or taskbar just the desktop background. you can move the mouse and bring up task manager with Ctrl + Alt + Del but nothing else.
    When i boot it in safe mode and log in, the screen is black(no icons or taskbar) and the DJ program comes up automatically. nothing else can be done except the above..taskmanager etc. the Dj program works but you can't load a file. When i close this Program Xp shuts down automatically. This program does not come up when i start in normal mode, just the background.

4. Randolf34

Randolf34 Banned

If this behavior has only been there since the installation of the Dj program, then that
    is the more likely source. You could run the Microsoft utility on it. But that would more
    likely not be a resolve here. The best thing here is removal of the source.

If you see a sudden improvement after the removal of this, then you will know there it
    was either poorly written, written for an earlier version of Windows, or was designed to
    more or less take over the desktop. If this was the only software installed prior to this
    situation, then removal is advised.

If the removal of the Dj program still fails to correct this, another possible cause is a
    possible pc virus or spyware infection. The tool above can help with spyware. But for a
    virus you would need another cleaner like AVG7.1 pro. This can be downloaded free at:
    http://www.grisoft.com After a 30day trial it is still running and updating itself here.

5. Demeleo

Demeleo

I don't know how to remove this program(DJ Program) because only the task manager is functioning after i log in and because of this i also don't know how to install or run avg pro. And how do i run Microsoft Utility? Can you perhaps help me with this?
    Oh and is it possible that the PC can be infected with spyware even if it is not connected to the internet?

6. Randolf34

Randolf34 Banned

If you can get the task manager going again, look at the processes as well as any of
    the programs listed in the applications. If you see Dj on either off the first two tabs, a
    highlight of it and a click on the end task button at the bottom of the task manager box will stop it running there. It may take a few tries along with pressing the alt-cntrl
    and del buttons for it to stop.

If you can get it stopped, first see if the normal desktop appears. From there go into
    the control panel by either scrolling down to settings on the start menu or by entering
    the MyComputer icon if it is there on the desktop. This is if they reappear.

Going into the control panel to the add/remove icon would bring up the list of all your
    installed software including Dj. There you could click the remove button to uninstall it.
    If this fails, a system restore point can be manually start at the F8 safe prompt.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449&sd=tech

If this was a recent installation were you have a restore point made prior to the install
    of this Dj program, you can enter this command at the safe mode command prompt
    "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" to go back before the installation.

Once this is no longer active, you can remove it. However, if you can not go back due
    to not having a restore point to use, At least try to stop it at the desktop with the use
    of the task manager. The msconfig utility could be useful then.

At the run prompt off of the start menu you enter the msconfig command to enter into
    this utility where you can stop the startup of any program. On the general tab click on
    the selective startup option. Then cross over to the startup tab and disable Dj if it is
    listed among the startup programs. Give these methods a try and post results.

7. Jag11

Jag11

Dave Danger,

What do you mean? Do you want to go out of Safe Mode? If yes, do this:

Go to Start > Run

type: msconfig

then click the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck /SAFEBOOT then click OK. It will ask you to restart, please do so.

Demeleo,

You must not post to other's topic, you must create your own topic. (y)

8. Dave Danger

Dave Danger Thread Starter

jag11, I have no difficulty getting into or out of safe mode, what I can't do is get safe mode to do anything when I'm there. Nothing is on the screen but the words "Safe Mode" in each corner. Nothing else. I want to run one of several scanner/removers while in safe mode, to see if I can clean out the trojan.vundo that is being warned of... but when I get into safe mode, I can't get anything on the screen. No start button, no icons, no nothing. It's simply a black screen. I'd like to some advice on how to get past this, or a fix to solve it... All I can do is ctrl-alt-del to the task manager, and exit, or logoff, or switch users. All of which produces the same result... a black screen once I get to safe mode. I mean I can restart completely, and boot back into windows normally, and there's no problem with that, Windows works fine. I simply immediately get the warning that the above mentioned trojan is found. Running the scanner/remover from within normal windows does not find and remove it... therefore I want to try in safe mode.

9. Randolf34

Randolf34 Banned

If you can get in normal Windows, then download the MS AntiSpyware Remover to be
    able to remove this. Give this one a good run. It works quite well at finding vundo and
    a number of others. By now there are more than one on the system.

Misery comes in pairs as they say. After removing the trundo and any immediate scans
    locate a few others, restart another scan after a fresh reboot of the system. You will
    find a few more then. Give this one a few good runs and post results.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!