1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP says I am not the administrator

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iambluebell, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iambluebell

iambluebell Thread Starter

I am the only owner/user of my windows XP - all was fine until I tried to save a file to a CD, now I'm told I need permission from the Administrator. Where can I find the place to either turn that off or name myself as Administrator?? I have recently run a number of cleaners/anti malware/programs because of an apparent virus in my email. If that caused it - how do I become the administrtor. Thanks

2. elee

elee

Do a Google search on windows xp administrator for options

3. iambluebell

I did try that, their hint was from 2006. I was to begin at the 'start' menu - mine doesn't look anything like their sample. And I have no problem until I try and copy to a disk, then I'm told I need this permission.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

Look in Control Panel under User Accounts, and check the user account type for your name. If it already shows administrator, then there is some other problem; possibly caused by the cleaners you used. Does it show 'adminstrator' or 'limited'?

5. iambluebell

Hi, Thanks. It does say Administrtor - the guest account is off.
    Ian't undo the cleaners and it's only the CD that won't work.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

7. iambluebell

No, it's not XP pro, just the home edition. I did go to th CD drive and found "enabling CD recording on this drive" but I can't see why disabling this would help me become the administratot of this drive and allow me to read/use the files on it.

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Boot into safe mode and use the hidden Adminsitrator account . . it may allow you to make changes

9. iambluebell

hanks - I have to leave now but will give it a try.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971805