XP says I am not the administrator

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

iambluebell

I am the only owner/user of my windows XP - all was fine until I tried to save a file to a CD, now I'm told I need permission from the Administrator. Where can I find the place to either turn that off or name myself as Administrator?? I have recently run a number of cleaners/anti malware/programs because of an apparent virus in my email. If that caused it - how do I become the administrtor. Thanks

iambluebell

I did try that, their hint was from 2006. I was to begin at the 'start' menu - mine doesn't look anything like their sample. And I have no problem until I try and copy to a disk, then I'm told I need this permission.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Look in Control Panel under User Accounts, and check the user account type for your name. If it already shows administrator, then there is some other problem; possibly caused by the cleaners you used. Does it show 'adminstrator' or 'limited'?

iambluebell

Hi, Thanks. It does say Administrtor - the guest account is off.
Ian't undo the cleaners and it's only the CD that won't work.

iambluebell

No, it's not XP pro, just the home edition. I did go to th CD drive and found "enabling CD recording on this drive" but I can't see why disabling this would help me become the administratot of this drive and allow me to read/use the files on it.

Boot into safe mode and use the hidden Adminsitrator account . . it may allow you to make changes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online