1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Search Function will not work!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tool319, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tool319

tool319 Thread Starter

The computer's default search function, Search Companion, is not functional!

When I go from the Start Menu to Search, the window that pops up has the Search Companion side pannel, but it is totally blank (greyed out), with the exception of the title, Search Companion, and the "X" in the upper-right-hand corner.

The fields are missing and everything.

I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on!

Please help!!!

2. rude

rude

Start/Run Type: regedit ok
    Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind

If "NoFind" has the value "01 00 00 00" change it to "00 00 00 00" Restart
    Hope this works for you.

If that doesn't work try this:
    Log on as an Administrator
    Click Start
    Select Run
    Enter in the command - %systemroot%\inf
    Right-click the Srchasst.inf file
    Click Install

3. MaFire

MaFire

I have this same problem, there is no "NoFind" in the registry, and I did the Srchasst.inf install and put in my xp disc to install the files that are needed for the installation of it, and its still grayed out.

4. tool319

tool319 Thread Starter

Thanks, rude, for the tips.

I actually managed to find a useful article on Microsoft.com that I used to fix the problem.

I was having problems with many of the window panes being greyed out, so I did a search and found a helpful article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831430

I employed this technique, and immediately my problems were solved.

Check it out if any of you have a similar problem. For me, the problem had spread to my e-mail, so this was a life-saver!

Good luck and thanks.

-Tool319

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/288265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice