1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp ser pack2 questions concerning spyware

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by leis, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leis

leis Thread Starter

i TECH GUY, thanks for your prior help re word perfect forum, etc...

This is re XP questions concerning spyware and some of the specifics; I had the machine cleaned due to the spyware that (man) did it come on and take over. I'm running the AVG antispyware (free and virus wares); I had the puter guy that helps me, clean and clear machine (95 big ones (bucks)) and then no sooner then home and trying out, etc...was noticeably slow.....Trying to rebuild to the tune of how I had it before or that is minimal and minimal services or this is it; i have DSL connection w/router or modem supplied by AT&T and so no network other then online connection; the last time or per this reinstall, I had the fax port open or on the windows firewall must have been how it slipped and that was the orig. hit by spyware that I can think or recall on my notes, etc...w/the checked receive in modem's (that's dial up modem's 57k modem on device-list, as I used fax port to fax some stuff to my landlords per not having printer, etc...) that's how or what the orig. spyware relayed back to or research told me that much, I believe(d)...Sorry for all-over-the-place, herein, but anyway....the bottom line, I downloaded zonealarm now and think it's a big PLUS thus far, but then I had spyware found right away and right off....when I hadn't even hardly done anything but ...log into the yahoo mail....and that's the orig. o r part of the At&T's thing--yahoo....etc.....

Anyway, bottom line here, since I have and still run AVG freeware and can't really afford anything right now...geez, sorry for so much or TMI, but anyway, would or could you provide opinion on possible outfitting my computer to the best dead-bolt and understanding(?) also I noticed this or these browser add-ons that last time or before stripped and re formatted or whatever/ever....that some mysterious add-on browser stuff like java and this messenger, of course, (oooh) but a couple of them I'm running now only has a long # serial-like looking one the { brackets} surround it and then the helper that's supposedly Adobe and I'm so paranoid to let anything happen considering the last time, but realize that that is all part of internet life---the ongoing and destructive virus and malwares, but any help provided or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to just get system to where I know it and know it pretty good to better and zone lab seems to help though, I hate to even spell that out here, believe it or not. Right now, while looking for j-o-b, this is my (and i mean ONLY) resource or that is, having online computer connect for most if not, all jobs in my field or for the most part, LA area of business, etc.....

Thanks for any anticipated replies of all.

Leis

p.s. Sorry for the add-on here or the P.S., but this is concerning the network connects box in the local area of netwok--there's a box that says SMart Card Enabled and then IEEE 802.1 is checked and that smart-card is checked or the both ---my question pertains to the necessity or need of these (smart card, i thought or believe isn't a Must or necessary in Xp Pro edition or running on single or NON-network computer) is that correct? And Ethernet is used for my 2wire router/dsl modem of course, but that has some sort of something to do with this ieee box or 802...?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice