1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Service Pack 2 and wireless connection

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tbeatham, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tbeatham

tbeatham Thread Starter

I have tried updating my system a couple of times now for Service Pack 2 but everytime I do it my wireless broadband connection gets blocked so I have to uninstall the service pack to get it back. Can anyone tell me how I can avoid this problem or rectify the problem.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Have you tried shutting down Windows Firewall after you install SP2. This would be a good place to start.

3. tbeatham

tbeatham Thread Starter

Yeah tried that and no good - made no difference and the connection would not repair

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

5. mevande

mevande

I am having the same problem. I have installed WinXP SP2 and my wireless "G/B" connections to my Linksys router (, which is connected to my cable modem) will not work. I tried the update link that was posted here (Microsoft site) and it did not solve the problem. I am running XP home Edition on a PC that had a great connection and it's now down.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

6. mike5532g

mike5532g

7. tbeatham

tbeatham Thread Starter

Mike,

The only thing that worked for me was to uninstall SP2 and revert everything back to the previous settings.
    You could give that a go so at least you get your internet connection back.

Tim

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For some reason, when I installed SP2 on my laptop, I had to reset the TCP/IP stack after the process to get the wireless link to function again.

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice