Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP settings have changed

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  EAFiedler 
#1 ·
I had to do an XP repair install. After doing it, all my desktop settings had changed and most of my programs were gone...or so I thought.

What has happened is that in "Documents and Settings" , a new user folder has been created "bullseye.NET1". The original folder "bullseye" is still there, along with all my programs that I thought were gone, and all of my setting, etc.

So when I boot the system, I am "Bullseye", but XP is loading to the new "bullseye.NET1" folder and settings instead of the "bullseye" folder and settings that it used to load before I did the repair install.....

Any ideas how to get XP to go back to the original folder?

Thanks in advance.

Bullseye

#3 ·
Hi bullseye

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Try this:
Start > Run
key in:
control userpasswords2

The User Accounts window will appear.
Uncheck: Users must enter a user name and password to enter this computer
Click Apply
A new window will appear where you can specify the User Account that you want Windows to Automatically Log On.
Save your settings, reboot to test.

If there is no check mark present for: Users must enter a user name and password to enter this computer
Place a check mark there, Click Apply, then remove the check mark and click Apply to bring up the Automatically Log On window.

You can also see what User Accounts are setup in: Control Panel > User Accounts.

Let us know if that works or not.

#4 ·
Thank you for responding EAFielder. I have actually already tried this with no success. THe reason being is that there are only 2 user accounts on this computer. The first is "Bullseye" and the second is "Guest".

The "Bullseye" user account boots everytime, but it goes to the "bullseye.net1" folder and settings instead of going to the "bullseye" folder and settings with all my desktop icons, programs, even my Netscape favorites and history.

I can also say, because someone asked this, that I can't move all the programs from "bullseye" to "bullseye.net1", because many of the programs will not work when moved. I actually have to reinstall them. Adaware, Zone alarm, ad-subtract, flashget, etc.

SO to use some of these, I have to go into C:, then Document and Settings, then "bullseye", then "desktop", then click from there the program I want to run.

Additionally, I have moved back all the files and programs transferred to "bullseye.net1", then actually deleted the folder and all the setting contained. WHen I rebooted, the "bullseye.net1" folder was re-created.....

Hope this helps to clarify.

#5 ·
Since you cannot copy a profile that is currently logged on
Create a third Administrator User Account, log on to that account.

Right click My Computer
Properties > Advanced tab > User Profiles-Settings
This will open the: User Profiles dialog box
Copy the programs from one User Account to the other, this way Windows will assign the proper permissions to the copy.
Using Windows Explorer, Windows will not assign the proper permissions and the programs may be unusable for the other account.

You might consider setting up a fourth Administrative User Account (for practice) and copying a profile to it to see the results.

Once you have the User Account setup and working the way you want it, delete the unwanted User Account from User Accounts in Control Panel or from the User Profiles dialog box you used to copy the accounts.

Avoid using Windows Explorer to adjust or change the User Accounts.

Let us know what happens.

#6 ·
After reading your response, I was able to get a better idea of what I needed to do... I went to MS help and found the following, which solved my problems.
Thanks again EAfielder for your help!

Create a New User Profile in Windows XP Home Edition
1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click User Accounts.
4. Under Pick a task, click Create a new account.
5. Type a name for the user information, and then click Next.
6. Click an account type, and then click Create Account.

Copy Files to the New User Profile
1. Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying files to or from.
2. In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
3. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.
4. Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files:

• Ntuser.dat
• Ntuser.dat.log
• Ntuser.ini

5. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
6. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
8. Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

#7 ·
Good for you!

Thanks for posting back and letting us know what worked! :up:

You can mark your thread solved using the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top of the page.

I am including a few links for User Account setup information for future readers of this thread:
How To Assign a Mandatory User Profile in Windows XP
How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
How to create a custom default user profile
How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
Recover a damaged Windows XP user profile
Installing and running software in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.