1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP setup for No Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MPeg3, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

What is the best way to set up a computer with XP that will never have an Internet connection? What services can I eliminate and how do I turn off the settings that always want to look for updates? Right now, all he wants to do is use it to convert LPs to CDs. Maybe later, he might want to do something else, but that is all for now and he is an elderly gentleman who is just now learning to use a computer, so I want it as simple as possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Peg

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Peg:

I'm assuming that his computer is a desktop and that it has a dial-up modem port and/or a high-speed network adapter port.

The quickest and easiest way to make sure that it has no internet connection is to make sure that no telephone cord is connected to the dial-up modem port and that no CAT5 cable is connected to the high-speed network adapter port.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties - Automatic Updates(tab), select the option to turn off automatic updates, then click Apply - OK.

The security center won't be happy about you doing that and may display a warning message. If it does, just close it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

Your assumptions are correct. Sorry, I never thought to put that in.

And will that stop the balloons saying "This computer may be at risk" or something similar to that? My own father had a computer just like the one I am setting up and he constantly got little pop-ups giving him dire warnings about what all might happen if he didn't update his computer. The gentleman I am setting this one up for is VERY nervous about messing something up and the less he has to worry about, the better.

Also, should I hook it up to my router and update it before giving it to him or just take it as it installs? Asking because I'm wondering if the updates fix anything other than security issues or if it fixes something in the actual operation of the computer.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The only thing that I can think of right now would be to completely disable the Security Center from running so it doesn't bring up any warnings.

Click Start - Run, type in SERVICES.MSC and then click OK. Expand the services window so you can see the list more clearly. Double-click on Security Center and Security Accounts Manager, change the setting to "Disabled", then click Apply. You have to do one at a time. After you made the setting change and reset the computer, the Security Center should no longer load.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming that this desktop has Windows XP SP2 already pre-installed?

Is this a brand new desktop that needs to go through the initial setup process, or has it already been setup and used before?

Does it have an AMD or an Intel processor?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

What has been done so far, is I have just put a new 80GB HD into a 2001 HP computer. I installed the Windows XP that origionally came on the computer and nothing else. I don't think SP2 is there yet.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    OK, thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't sure if you had bought a new desktop with Windows XP that hadn't been through the original setup process yet, or if it was a used desktop that already had Windows XP activated and had been used for awhile. I had no idea it was a used desktop with a new hard drive.

After you did a fresh install of Windows XP, did it self-activate or did you have to activate it with Microsoft?

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties. In the General tab, what does it show for the operating system and the version number?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

It self-activated.

It is XP Pro, version 2002 w/SP2

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Since it's already self-activated and there's SP2 installed and he has no intention of going on-line at this time, there's no compelling need to upgrade to SP3 at this time.

Something that you might consider for his computer in the future is to download the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade and burn it to a CD-R. If and when he decides to go on-line, the SP3 upgrade can be installed first. This'll get the 100+ post-SP2 critical updates installed in his computer(without going through a lengthy process via the Windows Updates site) and make it up-to-date and much safer security-wise before he goes online.

The SP3 upgrade can be downloaded from here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the help.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

Good luck. (y) I have a feeling that you're going to be talking to him and paying him a visit regularly - if he's as computer-illiterate as I'm being lead to believe. :(

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

Yes, and the problem is he lives about 45 minutes from my house, so it will mostly be trying to talk him through problems over the phone. I seem to have several people like this in my life. Good thing I enjoy computers.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice