1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP shutdown error caused by wireless

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maximus1115, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximus1115

maximus1115 Thread Starter

After my computer was in sleep mode for about 8 hours, I turned it on and instantly it started constantly rebooting. My computer runs Windows XP and I have the SP3. I turned it on in Safe Mode and turned off the autorestart function, but within seconds of loading windows I still get the blue screen error that shuts down windows to protect my computer.

After a lot of trial and error, I think the error is somehow related to my wireless hardware or software. When I reboot in safe mode, my computer works fine but when I reboot in "Safe Mode with Networking", my computer instantly errors and the blue screen comes up. When I go into BIOS when I turn my computer on and switch the setting "MiniPCI" from enabled to disabled and switch the "wireless control" setting from "<Fn+F2>/Application" to "always off", my computer works fine and I just don't have internet.

I believe my wireless card is an "Intel(R) PROSet for Wireless." When I try to open it in the control panel in Safe Mode, the program just stalls.

For what it's worth, I did a system restore to 4 days earlier when my computer was fine and I still had the same problems. Also, rebooting with "Last Known Good Configuration" did not help any. In the Event Viewer application, it seems a "task manager lite", "event 104" error has occurred every time I rebooted.

I have a hunch that some how reinstalling the hardware/software for my wireless might fix the problem.

Help would be greatly appreciated :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!