1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Carlyon, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carlyon

Carlyon Thread Starter

Does ayone know the Registry settings associated with Shutdown please? I believe I have inadvertantly altered a registry entry as my computer will no longer shutdown peoperly and I have to switch off the power to do so.

Regards Carlyon

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    What does your computer do when you select "shutdown?"
    Does it just reboot??

3. Carlyon

Carlyon Thread Starter

No. It hangs and then a small panel appears warning about losing unsaved items with a progress bar moving across. When this has finished it has apparently not shut down because the desktop is still displayed. Cntrl Alt Delete does not work but shows no programs running.

Regards Carlyon

4. mlesniak

mlesniak

You need:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

PowerdownAfterShutdown should be set to 1

Marcus

5. Carlyon

Carlyon Thread Starter

Thanks Marcus
    Setting was 0. I changed it to 1

This helped but not entirely.

Having recently installed Norton Internet Security 2005 I tried removing it and this solved the problem!

Regards Carlyon

6. mlesniak

mlesniak

I tried using Norton Internet Security and ended up giving it up (although it was an earlier version than version 5). The problem was that it seemed to block ALL internet access, no matter how low I set the security.
    When I tried to get my money back Symantec would not oblige (because of their time restriction) so I ended up donating it to a friend, who seems quite happy with it.

Marcus

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice