1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP shuts down after several minutes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jude3, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jude3

jude3 Thread Starter

My mom has XP and I fdisked and then reinstalled.
    I entered security code and microsoft said: ok.
    after about five or ten minutes an error message comes up and the system shuts down.
    please help. thanks

2. Pancake

Pancake

Whats the error msg

3. jude3

jude3 Thread Starter

Sorry I should have wriiten it down; she is over an hour from me. Some initials like: rfc error and must shut down. please save your data.....something like that

4. Nothingface

Nothingface

i think you're talking about the rpc procedure call. if that's it, you got a virus or trojan.

5. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

If you logged onto the internet, even for a minute, after you reformatted, and hadn't completely downloaded all the critical updates and virus definitions, then it most likely is a bug. When I got my XP, I went straight to the critical updates and virus definitions, nowhere else, didn't even have my email program set up yet, and had a blasterworm before I could finish downloading the updates.

If you have a firewall, turn it on. If it is a worm, it slows the shutdown enough for you to download the blasterworm fixtool from Symantic. I'd suggest finding the fixtool on another computer and downloading it and emailing it to the (possibly) infected computer, or at least taking the troubled computer directly to the fixtool and downloading it to see if this is the problem. With the firewall active, you should have enough time to download virus updates and critical updates.

6. jude3

jude3 Thread Starter

Thank you so very much; You must be right. I will try this thanks again.
    I am just surprised how it picked up the bug so fast.

7. jude3

jude3 Thread Starter

I will do this and I thank you again.
    jude3

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!