1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP shuts down before I can do anything

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vajovic, May 30, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. vajovic

vajovic Thread Starter

I have an IBM NetVista home XP that is close to 20 years old. It started turning itself on last year so I leave it unplugged until I want to use it. This week it shut itself down while I was using it and today it turns on and off repeatedly, at the moment I can't even react fast enough to do anything. It did caution me that it was going into standby. Is there anything I can do?

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi, will it start in safe mode - tap F8 as the pc is starting up?
    If yes, try a system restore.
    Or try a system restore from Command Prompt?
    Re-start the pc and tap F8 as the pc is starting up.
    When you reach the Windows Advanced Options window.
    Select - Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
    Press Enter
    At the command prompt window
    Type:
    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    Press Enter.
    Choose a date prior to your problem.

3. vajovic

vajovic Thread Starter

I will add that I no longer use the XP for the Internet. I should be able to give you the results by tomorrow afternoon.

4. blues_harp28

(y)

5. vajovic

vajovic Thread Starter

I started the PC and was able to get to the control panel. I reset "turn off monitor" to never, disabled "hibernation", and possibly "system standby" to never (though it may have already been set, I don't remember). The PC was on for 30 minutes with no problem. If there is still trouble I will try the system restore that you suggested.
    While I am here I should ask how long can I expect the hard drive and battery to last? The computer is close to 20 years old. The original monitor and mouse have been replaced.

6. blues_harp28

To last that long without replacing the hard drive and battery - it's doing well.
    However, the time will come when they will die on you.
    Make sure any needed data and files on the hard drive are backed up before disaster strikes.

7. vajovic

vajovic Thread Starter

The changes I made did not work. The computer either goes on/off or on/off on/off. The first chance I get I will hit F8.

8. blues_harp28

Ok - keep us updated. Good luck.

9. vajovic

vajovic Thread Starter

When turning on the computer it notifies me "preparing to stand by" then shuts down. But after a few tries I was able to do the system restore. The computer is off, but still plugged in for an hour and has not been acting up. I will give it a try again tomorrow and hope it does not go to standby any more.
    I also went to "power schemes" and have the turn off monitor and hard drive, the system standby and hibernate all set on "never". Also "when press power button" and "sleep button" set to do nothing. Hibernate is also disabled. If any of these settings are not good just tell me.

10. blues_harp28

Did system restore work - did you take it back to a known working date?
    I have never been a fan of standby and hibernate.
    In all my pc's the power options are set to Never.

11. vajovic

vajovic Thread Starter

Day 2:
    Everything is fine. I hope this is not premature, but I am going to say that the system restore worked.
    Thanks for the help.

12. blues_harp28

Give it 7 days total and then, hopefully, gives us a thumbs up.
    I'd also manually set a new restore point.

13. vajovic

vajovic Thread Starter

Day 3:
    Premature. Went back to standby. Open to all suggestions. Not ready for this yet, but is deleting everything on the hard drive and starting over "new" again an option?

14. lynx1021

lynx1021

On a computer that old you could have leaking/bulging capacitors on the motherboard and in the power supply causing your problem. I have a 2009 dell that started acting up and after close inspection of the motherboard I found 5 capacitors leaking or bulging. I was able to find a used replacement on eBay in better shape that only had two bad caps. I replaced them and changed the board and got it going again. I hate double-sided boards, I had to buy a 40 watt iron to get the solder to flow to both sides. Here are some pictures https://www.google.com/search?q=lea...0KHXsQC_kQ9QEwA3oECAQQCg#imgrc=J8n9Zrp8BBFlwM:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  15. blues_harp28

In addition to the suggestions above.

The only way to delete everything off the hard drive is by re-installing Windows Xp - which as you know will overwrite all data files, folders, etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!