1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Sign On and unread AOL emails

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rdkapp, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

On the Windows XP sign on screen where it shows the users name with an icon, it also shows the number of unread e-mail messages. I have AOL, but I stopped using it a couple of years ago because it was too time consuming to sift through the 30 to 40 spam emails I received daily. So, my AOL email account has 400+ emails in it and the Windows XP sign on screen reflects that. How do I change that? I don't want the unread AOL emails to show up on the XP sign on screen.

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

XP is doing it's job. Are you still using AOL? Can you access it? if so, simply delete all the mesages. You don't have to read them. Access your AOL email account via the web as per the software. It will be easier to remove them. If you are not using AOL, then uninstall the software. XP reports on your emails using the default email app. If you use another app for emails, make sure it's the default. AOL has a habit of taking over things.

3. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

I do still use AOL on occasion and because I have some people who either refuse to update their address book or that have been unable to update them correctly, I still get AOL emails from them. I usually don't find out until I talk to them and they ask me if I got their email.

So, how or where do I tell XP to use another email program as the default? Also, do I have to have a default email program, because right now, I don't have one set up? I am in the process of trying to find out how to set up remote email through Outlook, so if you have any info on that, I would appreciate it.

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

What do you use to get your emails now? Outlook Express has a setting in it's preferences to make it the default app.. The only remedy I know of is to remove the AOL software. Use the web to access the email from AOL until you stop paying for the service which you are still doing. Set up a POP account in Outlook express and it should ask to make it's self the default email. XP will then reflect the emails in that account vs. AOL's

5. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

The subject computer is a notebook which I mostly use remotely. My main email account is on my desktop at home through Outlook Express. Right now, I'm retrieving my emails on this computer by webmail when I'm remote, but I don't like webmail because I continuously have to login to retrieve new messages. So, that is why I'm looking into setting up my email account to receive and send remotely over the internet. I believe only Outlook can do this at this time. Do you know anything about this?

I don't want to remove the AOL software, because I use it occasionally to check on my kids' usage, as well as my email on those unusual occasions. My kids are the only reason I'm keeping AOL, and oh, BTW, I'm paying only $9.99 a month for AOL, so its a pretty good deal for the kids' services AOL provides. I guess in the interim, I could set up a POP account in Outlook Express. Are you sure that will resolve my issue?

6. mike5532g

mike5532g

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#100 disable unread mail on the welcome screen

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!