1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP slow after comp shut down for few days

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by insolent, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insolent

insolent Thread Starter

I leave my PC on 24/7. Hardly ever turn it off except to swap out a component. I turned it off for some unknown reason before the weekend, came back to it Sunday and found it unbelievably slow. Opening any program, Mozilla, IE, Word, Excel, takes 10-15 sec (used to be under 3). Even opening an additional browser window takes time. Opening menus and scrolling is also slow. I run iTunes. Every song I play from the HD has 2-4 second hiccups during playback every min or so. Video playback is an even bigger disaster. Full boot time has been increased considerably also. What used to take under a minute, now takes 4-5.

Everything was running finer up to the minute I shut the PC down. I even remember being happy that my PC wasn't showing signs of aging yet. Nothing has been installed, plugged in, unplugged. No changes. Just turn off for three days, come back, turn on, and I might as well have a Pentium II.

I've run a complete virus scan using Housecall and have run updated Spybot SD to ensure I've got no nasties lurking. Any thoughts? I'll probably do a memtest next. Could my compy be in shock from being turned off? This is really weird.

Here's my specs:
    P4 2.4c (not overclocked)
    GeForce4 Ti4400
    512MB GEIL DDR400 Dual-Ch
    120 West Dig WD1200JS SATA HD
    Audigy
    Couple of CD and DVD burners.
    400 Watt PSU

Thx in adv.

2. mobo

mobo

Make sure all case and cpu fans are operating and check system temps. Also do a checkdisk or scandisk.

3. insolent

insolent Thread Starter

Ran the Windows Error-checking with bad sectors option checked. No probs there. System temp is normal and all fans turning (although I assume if the system were over heated, it wouldn't even be functioning). Any other suggestions? The hiccups are effecting everything, including mousing over menus and during typing.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice