1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Slow Boot Up and Stuttering Sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobster, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobster

bobster Thread Starter

It is taking about 4 minutes to boot my laptop. Is there anything I can do to speed the boot up and generally get a little better performance out of my machine? I realize this isn't a state of the art machine but it seems to be getting slower.
    I have attached a hijack log. Any help of what to delete would be greatly appreciated.
    Bobster

HP Pavillion Z1000 Notebook
    AMD 1.3 ghtz Athlon XP
    30 Gig HD
    17 Gig Free
    240 Meg Memory

Attached Files:

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

You have a lot running at startup . . Disconnect from the internet and click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig and uncheck everything in the Startup tab

Restart and see if it is faster . . if so, go back to msconfig and put a check in the programs one at a time to see who is the hog.

3. Selppinevoli

Selppinevoli

Doing a defrag on your hard drive wouldn't be a bad idea either.

4. bobster

bobster Thread Starter

Thank you all. I found the culprit to be the virus programs. Avast and one other. I had done a defrag last night (it took over an hour. Is that normal?). The XP start up sound track is still stuttering. Any ideas?
    Bobster

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

The stuttering sound is usualy a function of the low RAM , , too much going on at boot for it to run smoothly. You would likely see a noticable overall performance improvement with another 256 of RAM

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/359482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice