1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP slow when trying to send an email.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FarflameX, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FarflameX

FarflameX Thread Starter

I've just recently moved my business over from ME to XP. Most of it is running fine, but I have a problem when trying to send emails. My email attachments (which are around 20k or 30k each) are all dropped into a folder, and I then choose a recipient and send them, one by one. My printer is usually running at the same time (more on that later though). When I was doing this on ME, with only 256k of memory, it was fairly fast (only a slight pause), but now, on XP, with 1gb, a 2.4mhz chip and 50gb spare HD space, it's going incredibly slowly (over 10 second pause each time). I would point out that I'm running a printer at the same time, which is really slowing down the system - far more than I expected - but even afterwards when I stopped the printer, it's taking along time.

To make it more clear what's happening, when I right-click on my files I have to hold the mouse over 'send to' for about 5 seconds before the options come up. Then when I click mail recipient, there's another pause of 5 seconds or so.

As I say, this is mainly when the printer is running, but also if I stop the printer. However, when I waited about an hour after printing, it does do it at full-speed.

Any ideas?

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

What is the fragmentation on the drive like? Do you have single-click selected in Folder Options? What is it like with the printer disconnected?

Was this an upgrade to XP, or was it a clean install, or is it a new system?

How is the printer set up for printing? Direct or spooled?

3. FarflameX

FarflameX Thread Starter

System was already on XP, but was reformatted about 6 weeks ago, so fragmentation is very low.

System is generally running very fast apart from this problem.

I'm not sure what you mean about single-click in folder options, could you tell me how to check/change that?

Haven't tried it with the printer disconnected, but I only connected it yesterday, and emailing before that was absolutely fine. I had sent some attachments before and never noticed any pauses, so it seems certain that it's a printer problem. Printer drivers are up-to-date because XP detected and installed the printer automatically yesterday.

Printer is set to spooled, but also to 'start printing immediately'. Would direct printing make it better?

Incidentally, I would prefer it if the computer had 'preference'. I don't mind if the printer slows down - much rather that than the computer slowing down.

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

If you have a look at Folder Options, you'll see what I mean by single-click.

Might just be a case of choosing another printer setting. My printer is down at the moment, (Xerox WorkCentre M940) so I can't help you on that one, and Xerox uses its own system.

Maybe try a different printer with a bigger buffer. Printer buffers, or memory, are really RAM, just like your main system RAM.

This might be of interest to you. Tuning Windows XP

I find that Frag-Shield has made a big difference on my own system, but then it had a problem with the Master File Tables which has now been corrected.

What exactly are you using your printer for?

How much RAM will your system take? The Maximum amount.

If you can find that out then adding more system RAM - might - help.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It doesn't seem like some general file cleanup is going to solve much for your e-mail problem. It's good to do you you seem to have more going on here.

Given the symptoms with the printer, as a test, what happens if you uninstall and disconnect it completely. This should remove the driver.

Also, I don't see mentioned what e-mail program you are using.

6. FarflameX

FarflameX Thread Starter

I'm using Outlook. I certainly don't think that it requires a memory upgrade because, as I said, it was working fine on ME with 256mb. I now have 1gb, although I think the system will take 2gb in total.

Looking at folder options, I have it set to double-click. I do prefer it that way, as it's the way I'm used to.

What I'm printing is a fairly big AmiPro document. That could be a problem since Amipro is so old. It's sometimes over 300 pages, sometimes as little as 50 pages.

It's definately running fine without the printer, everything is zipping along at full speed. It's definately a printer problem, because even when I double click the 'C' drive, I get the little searchlight for a few seconds.

7. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Try posting your printer details in the Hardware forum. There are so many of them it is hard to know which is best these days.

Which make/model printer are you using?

Here are some guidelines from Help and Support.

Settings that affect printingThere are three types of settings that affect printing: Printer properties, printing preferences, and print server properties. Click a category to find out more about it.

Printer properties

In printer properties, you set the options that affect the printer and all documents printed. The options available vary from printer to printer, but for most printers they allow the following:

Loading a new printer driver and printing a test page.
    Adding, deleting, and configuring a port and enabling printer pooling.
    Scheduling the printer's availability and assigning printer priorities.
    Sharing a printer and installing additional drivers.
    Assigning permissions for a printer and taking ownership of a printer.
    Setting printer memory.
    Assigning a print form to a printer tray.
    Choosing font types.
    Printing preferences

From the Printing Preferences dialog box, you set the options that affect the way documents are printed. The options available vary from printer to printer, but for most printers they allow the following:

Changing the layout of your text on a page by choosing portrait or landscape.
    Changing the number of copies that are printed.
    Choosing to print on both the front and back of the paper.
    Selecting the tray to print from, such as the manual feed tray or an envelope feeder.
    Choosing the material to print on, whether it is card stock, transparency, labels, and so on.
    Print server properties

From the Print Server Properties dialog box, you set the options that affect all printers installed on the print server. These include:

Assigning standard print forms to a printer tray and creating custom forms that are available to all printers on the server.
    Adding, deleting, and configuring ports on the print server.
    Adding, removing, updating, and viewing the properties of printer drivers installed on the print server.
    Setting spooler and print notification options.

To set printer memory
    To change the amount of printer memory in Windows, your printer must support the ability to change the amount of printer memory. Otherwise, the options described here will not appear in Windows. Also, you must have the Manage Printers permission, which is one of several printer permissions. For more information, click Related Topics.

If you do not know already, find out how much memory is installed in your printer. Many printers - especially laser printers - have a self-test feature that will print a document containing the current memory configuration. For more information on how to determine your printer's memory amount, see your printer's operating manual.
    Open Printers and Faxes.
    Right-click the icon for the printer you are using, and then click Properties.
    On the Device Settings tab, under Installable Options, click Printer Memory, and then click the number that matches the amount of memory installed in your printer or plotter.
    Notes

To open Printers and Faxes, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Printers and Faxes.
    Your printer has memory chips for storing information that is sent to it. When you install a printer, Windows reads the amount of printer memory so the printer and Windows work properly together. When you install additional memory into your printer, you need to change the printer memory setting in Windows so that the two match. If Windows is set to expect more or less memory than actually resides in your printer, Windows may display a memory message.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice