1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP slows down when copying DVD's

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by reuben36, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reuben36

reuben36 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a Windowa XP laptop by Gateway, when I copy DVD's everything I do on my computer gets very slow. Is there anything that I can do to speed up my computer so that I can run other programs at the same time?

Reuben :mad:

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

I think its advisable that you just leave your computer to it when you are burning cd'd/dvd's and not do anything else,it can cause errors if you do ...you can do other things if you want to,but its always likely to cause problems,adding as much RAM as your motherboard can support might help a bit to speed things up ....

3. nessyguin

nessyguin

Totally agree with telecom69 . You could also upgrade the CPU to the maximum supported by the motherboard but that's about all you can do other than physical maintenance - ensuring inside your PC is clean (especially CPU heatsink and fan) . This can make a big difference but should be done with care though . http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Reuben:

When your computer is doing things like burning CD's/DVD's, printing documents, running an antivirus scan, etc., you should leave it alone until it's done.

What is the model name and model number of your Gateway laptop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. reuben36

reuben36 Thread Starter

Flavallee,
    This is what I have:

System:
    MicroSoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Manufactured & supported by:
    Gateway
    MX7118
    Mobile AMD Athlon
    Processor 3400+
    787 MHz 448 MB 0f RAM

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Gateway MX7118
    Mobile AMD Athlon Processor 3400+ 787 MHz
    448 MB 0f RAM

Your laptop has 512 MB of RAM, but 64 MB of it is dedicated for use by the on-board display adapter, which is why it's showing 448 MB.

According to the CRUCIAL site and the KINGSTON site for that model, it supports a maximum of 1536 MB of RAM.

You should strongly consider adding another 512 MB module and increase the amount to 1024 MB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. reuben36

reuben36 Thread Starter

flavallee,
    Will adding 1 GB of RAM be what I need so that I can run other programs while copying DVD's? Incredimail won't open fast like it has for the past (2) weeks, and my desktop icons dissappear and reappear when doing various functions like opening and closing websites, is this a memory problem also?

8. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

no, adding RAM won't improve ur performance while copying a dvd. u need 2 do the dvd alone then do ur other things. i added 2 gigs ram & still only copy a dvd and nothing else at the time. not wise 2 multitask when doing a recording, will cause errors in ur dvd possibly :D

9. reuben36

reuben36 Thread Starter

TO ALL THAT HAVE SUPPLIED ANSWERS!
    It seems that I need to copy my DVD's and do nothing else, I thought that 45 minutes to copy movie only without menues was too long. I guess I better just buy a dual core laptop.

Thank you all,
    Reuben Phillips

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!