1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Small Office Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tj00, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tj00

tj00 Thread Starter

I had setup a network with 3 computers all using XP Pro. They were hooked into a hub, and the network was used just for file and printer sharing. Everything worked fine. They then got DSL and wanted to do internet sharing as well. I got a linksys router and hooked them back up. They all have internet now, but two of the computers can not access the third one. The third can access the other two. They can see the third computer on the network, but can not see any of its shares. When I try to open the computer over the network I get xxxxx is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource.

I have tried unsharing/resharing, uninstall/reinstall network components, nothing works. One other note I can send messages to the third computer using net send. It is in the workgroup, but just won't allow file sharing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. plucnik

plucnik

Do you have static IP addresses on the PC's or are you using the router to dynamically (DHCP) give out the addresses? Do a ipconfig/all on each machine (using a command window) and make sure they are all in the same IP range. You may have 2 machines with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses while the other and the router have 192.xxx.xxx.xxx. Either way, the problem seems to have something to do with the router settings.

3. tj00

tj00 Thread Starter

I am using DHCP. Ran ipconfig all the computers all have ips 192.xxx.xxx.xxx I do not think it is the router though, because the problem computer can acces the other two. It might be like doing surgery with a machete, but I might just format the problem child and start from scratch.

4. jtatsud

jtatsud

What operating systems are your computers using? Windows uses different methods of peer-to-peer sharing depending on the operating system.

Typically how you fix this is to create passwords for each PC - assuming they don't already have passwords. Then you need to create an ID and Password on each system which is identical to the ID and Password of the system that is trying to access that PC.

For example:

You have 3 PCs called SysA, SysB, and SysC. SysA has a user that logs on using an ID and Password of Mary/Mary. SysB has a user John/John. SysC has a user Tom/Tom. In order for John and Tom to access Mary, you would need to create IDs and Passwords of John/John and Tom/Tom on SysA.

Roboot all PCs after you are finished adding the IDs and Passwords.

Also, if you are using firewalls, don't forget to check your firewall settings to make sure they are not blocking your network traffic between systems. You might want to disable them for test purposes.

Good luck :)

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From the first post, it looks like there are 3 computers, all using XP Pro.

Make sure you have the same user accounts and passwords on all computers.

Also, the default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

With XP, the displayed name with the picture can be different that the actual user account name. I see it often where people change that name and think they are changing actual user account name. You can tell what the actual user account name is by right clicking on My Computer, Manage, Local Users and Groups / Users.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice