1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP SP1-Antisryware.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by St. Clair, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. St. Clair

St. Clair Thread Starter

I am on XP home SP 1. My std. M.S. Antispyware has expired recently and it seems as though it is being replaced by Defender (Beta 2) which necessitates the loading of SP 2.
    Is there any way I can still use the M.S. Antispyware without loading SP 2 ? The update advert window does not allow you to start the Antispyware pane beneath it.
    Regards, Gordon.

2. jhoegl

jhoegl

There is no reason not to update to SP2.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Actually there really is not any reason for not upgrading to SP2. Soon the support for SP1 is going to be no more. Well there is one reason not to upgrade to SP2 and that is if the operating system you are running is illegal. Is you OS legal?

4. St. Clair

St. Clair Thread Starter

All legal and above board, it's just I have a lot of critical info., Family History, etc., and Just a bit nervous about taking the plunge, everything is going smooth and to use the famous U.S. saying, if it aint broke......................

5. jhoegl

jhoegl

Oh, but SP1 is broke.

6. pjblevin

pjblevin

St. Clair: You should definitely install SP2......HOWEVER......make sure that you copy all your personal stuff to an external location. There have been problems with installing SP2 on a PC that's funky.

pjblevin

7. St. Clair

St. Clair Thread Starter

Thanks for advice Guys, I will just have to take the plunge. Meanwhile is the system still protected at all ?

8. pjblevin

pjblevin

St. Clair: You're 'System' could certainly go down. It's happened to me more than once. Your 'system' can be restored (provided you don't have a serious hardware problem). What CAN'T be restored (without great expen$e) are your personal files: Photos, Documents, Music. You must copy them to someplace where they're safe if your PC goes down........to an external hard-drive.......to a CD/DVD disc(s)......to Network Attached Storage.......etc. That way, you won't lose your PERSONAL STUFF!!!

pjblevin

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

pjblevin = Jolly Good Show and as correct as can be. Backup is the only way to protect your personal data.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice