1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP SP2; can't recognize DVDs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sy2, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I'm having a bit of a problem here that I actually discovered while trying to help someone else out ;)

I recently formatted and reinstalled XP and all of my programs and what-not. I've just now realized that I can't seem to play DVDs anymore on my computer. I pop a DVD in and nothing happens. I've watched the drive from Windows Explorer and it doesn't change from "CD Drive (G: )." If I actually try to click the drive it asks me to insert a CD into the drive and try again.

I've tested this so far with US copies of Boondock Saints and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. The only media players that I have installed right now WMP 10 and Winamp. I just tried installing PowerDVD 6 but when I ran it nothing happened - the process popped up in Task Manager but nothing on screen.

The two drives that I have are an ASUS CD-S400/A and PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-103 (taken directly from Device Manager). I'm trying to play the DVD's through the ASUS, which I believe is what I used before, but I've tried both without results. Computer is up to date and virus/adware free.

Let me know if there's any more information that I can provide.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here are the driver versions as reported in Device Manager:

ASUS - 5.1.2535.0
    Pioneer - 5.1.2535.0 (is it weird that these are the same?)

Both primary and secondary IDE Channels are set to DMA, also (y)

2. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

bump

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!