1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP SP2 FTP to WIN2003 Server problems (long?)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ekimdam, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ekimdam

ekimdam Thread Starter

Ok so here is the Setup:

Home Network
    Linksys BEFW11s4 fw v1.45
    Win2k3 AD Domain
    Win2k3 Server running IIS w/ FTP Only... Anon Login/ challenged file/folder access
    Various other PCs
    All PCs w/ XP SP2 have Windows Firewall Turned OFF
    Windows Explorer FTP

Here is the Problem:
    I can connect to any FTP server using my XP SP2 PCs w/o issue. I can connect to my FTP (2k3) with any PC running XP SP1 or less (ie. Win2k, NT, 9x...). I CANNOT connect to my 2k3 FTP server with ANY XP SP2 PC.... I can't connect coming from the outside in, I can't connect coming from the inside to the outside and back in, I can only connect if I use the local IP or DNS.

With that said, I know the issue is not my router. I have check and rechecked all the settings on the router thoroughly and nothing was ever change on it since long before I started updating to SP2. I have checked and re-checked all the settings on my 2k3 server including reading the logs(actually the logs are suggesting that I have actually made good connections...I'd like to tell them otherwise tho...).

Is there any known issue with XP SP2 connecting to an FTP site on a 2k3 server? I have scoured the Internet looking for an answer.... everything is about 3rd party FTP clients and nothing is noting XP SP 2 to 2k3 server connection issue.

The Error is as follows:
    "An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder.
    Details:The Connection with the server was reset"

If anyone would like to test this on their own SP2 or SP1 and earlier PC try connecting to the following link:
    ftp://flyonapin.gotdns.com

I am not the only one having this issue.... If you think that this might be a Passive v. Active issue... then explain to me what I did wrong. any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

2. natcom

natcom

Problem is definitely not your router I am leading more to Windows XP sp2
    have you tried uninstalling Windows XP sp2 on one of those machines for testing ?

3. ekimdam

ekimdam Thread Starter

I failed to mention that... Yes, I have done that and it did fix the problem. I figure it has something to do with SP2, but what am I missing? I would really like to keep SP2 because of a need to learn how to use it effectively in a work environment. I use my home network to test a lot of stuff for work. "...I always screw-up some mundane detail!"

Heck I've even turned on the firewall, set a rule to allow FTP, and then disabled the firewall hoping that it was a problem where the 'tool' was running even when it wasn't.... but no... it didn't work.

4. ekimdam

ekimdam Thread Starter

OK... speaking of mundane details.....
    A colleague of mine reminded me of the little known (well known) setting in the advanced options of IE.... uncheck the Passive Mode FTP setting....

Duh... always the obvious answer... the one one we always overlook
    Thanks for listening anyway!

*Just as a note. That setting never seemed to work previously. I could always get through with it checked or unchecked. Also, it was the router blocking the communication because Linksys routers do not support Passive FTP connections. It was blocking the incoming 'client request port' request because the port was not already open to the outside ....which would explain the odd Log files showing that the connection was made but then immediately closed due to time out... the client would never get through on the port it had requested the server to listen on for the data channel......ah... more fun with FTP....

5. joe_606

joe_606

I keep getting the same message, but with mine it only happens with 1 server, all the rest work fine. As in when i try my FTP address i get the message but if i try any other FTP address it works and askes me for a password and user.
    I dont understand?

+ when i try and uninstall xp sp2 it doesnt work it just gives me an error msg!?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice