1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP SP2 Has trashed my PC again! Please help.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by l8rsk8r, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. l8rsk8r

l8rsk8r Thread Starter

I'm hoping someone out there can help because I am at a loss. It happened on the 19th. My PC froze up and nothing would respond. I had to power off and when I restarted it, I have no network. No adapters, no connections, nothing. Rebooted and tried again. No change. Tweaked some setting here and there, still nothing. Finally broke down and did a system restore, this did not help. I have looked through similar posts trying to find a solution, and missing icons seem to be a big problem, but the difference is that I am not able to connect to the internet. It is not just my icons that are missing but my whole network infrastructure it seems.

In Device Manager, there are no adapters being listed at all. When I click on show hidden, I am shown a bunch a bunch of WAN miniports but not my network adapter (Realtek RTL8139/810x Ethernet NIC) or my firewire adapter. I have tried re-installing the adapters and I receive a code 10. I downloaded new drivers from Realtek's website and installed those... it did not help. I cannot remove my network adapter because it is attached to the motherboard or I would have tried that. I ran "netsh int ip reset" and rebooted but this did not fix the problem either. I installed the "support tools" from the my XP disks and ran netdiag.exe and I get the following log:

"Failed to get information for a network adapter. The error occured was: The pipe is being closed. (232)[FATAL] Cannot find TCP/IP configuration from the registry."

I consider myself something of a technophile (computer geek), but messing around in the registry in places I'm not all that familiar with is unappealing, plus shouldn't "system restore" have changed these settings and reg keys back for me anyway? I finally broke down and re-installed (upgraded) Windows XP after uninstalling SP2. This still did not fix the problem. SP2 seems to be the problem here..... this never happened before I installed it. I wouldn't have installed it if Windows Update hadn't nagged me to death. I'm at a loss guys..... can anyone figure this out and lend me a hand? It would be very much appreciated.

Computer Info:
    HP Pavillion a265c
    2.8 Ghz Intel Pentium 4
    1 GB DDR SDRAM
    160 GB HD
    60 GB 2nd HD
    Windows XP Professional (SP2) **until I uninstlled SP2**
    SQL Server MSDE 2000

Oh, It's not anything external because my wireless router and laptop are working fine.

Thanks a million (y)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Doesn't sound to me like any kind of software problem. With the symptoms you've described I'd suspect the NIC or motherboard. If it had been a (phone) modem instead of NIC, I'd bet that a power surge on the phone line had fried (at least) the modem. Don't know if you can get such a surge via ethernet. Did you notice anything else, like lightning or a power glitch, just before your PC froze on the 19th? Still under warranty?

3. l8rsk8r

l8rsk8r Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet,

No, there was no power glitch or lightning, she just froze up. The light on the network adapter blinks / turns on when the cable is connected. I was in he middle of a large download and left my office for a few minutes to talk to my wife and when I came back in it had froze. My home network backbone runs off of a high speed cable connection which attached to a Motorola modem, which is routed through a Belkin 4 Port Wireless router. If electrical discharge were the culprit here, wouldn't it have taken out the modem or router first? I'm certainly open to any sugestions. Is there a way I can test my adapter for failure without removing it from the motherboard?

The warranty was up a few months back. :(

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wish I could be of more help, I8rsk8r. If it was a small electrical surge, it could have broken the weakest link, which could have been the connection to the motherboard. I'd suggest posting on the hardware forum. Device Manager not being able to find it sure sounds like there's a connection or device that's broken.

My (probable) electrical experiences - both with dial-up modems. Desktop at home lost internet connection; never again could dial, and had bunch of other problems. Eventually Gateway replaced, under warranty, the modem, motherboard, CPU, memory, and I forget what else. A storm was in the area at the time of the incident, but I never told Gateway about that!
    Using a notebook in a motel, lost internet connection. Device Manager could not find any modem installed. I bought a PCMCIA one. Good luck with your problem.

5. ShavedApe

ShavedApe

my favorite tool (being a linux geek and all),
    grab a live linux cd, i'd probably suggest knoppix, as it's got the best overall hardware detection.
    www.knoppix.com
    www.distrowatch.com for a good listing of linux distros

if it all works fine, then you know it's a software problem.

6. l8rsk8r

l8rsk8r Thread Starter

Thanks for your help TerryNet.

Excellent suggestion ShavedApe. I did as you suggested and dowloaded and burned a copy of Knoppix. (It's been awhile since I've worked with Linux, forgot how much I like it). Everything was going good except for one thing. Both my mouse and keyboard are wireless. They both connect (wireless) to a small receiver which connects to the tower via USB. Knoppix was able to configure this except for one small problem.... It will only register the mouse movements but not the clicks. So basically I'm able to point at things but can't select them. "ENTER" and other keyboard tricks didn't work. I have a regular mouse I could plug in but not a regular keyboard, so if I unplug the wireless mouse to usse the regular one, I can no longer use the keyboard. I'll have to borrow a regular keyboard in the morning and try it again. I really appreciate the help and suggesion.
    I've been digging around and found this in the event log just prior to my system taking a dump. Maybe someone with expertise in this area will recognize the problem and be able to offer a solution. Here's the log:

"Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Tcpip
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4226
    Date: 4/19/2005
    Time: 5:12:49 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: FDPC
    Description:
    TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 82 10 00 80 ....?..?
    0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

****I Received three more of these warnings @ 5:33, 6:07, and 7:20 PM ****

' ' The computer freezes sometime after 7:20 PM. I have to power down the computer by just shutting off power without logging out of Windows first. Rebooted Computer @ around 10:15 and this is where the log picks up. I only copied the Error or Warning entries. ' '

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: EventLog
    Event ID: 6009
    Time: 10:16:17 PM
    Description:
    Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Multiprocessor Free.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event ID: 1517
    Time: 10:16:18 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    Windows saved user FDPC\Owner registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off.
    The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
    This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7026
    Time: 10:16:24 PM
    Description:
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: viaagp1

Event Source: EvntAgnt
    Event ID: 1003
    Description:
    TraceFileName parameter not located in registry; Default trace file used is .

Event Source: EvntAgnt
    Event ID: 1015
    Description:
    TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is 32.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also booted into Windows recovery console and noticed that the following services and drivers are "disabled". I'm no expert in this field so I was hoping someone migh be able to tell me what, if anything, needs to be enabled and what I should leave disabled. Here's the list of disabled services and drivers that I found:

Abiosdsk
    abp480n5
    ACPIEC
    adpu160m
    Aha154x
    aic78u2
    aic78xx
    AliIde
    amsint
    asc
    asc3350p
    asc3550
    Atdisk
    cbidf2k
    Cdfs
    CmdIde
    Cpqarray
    dac2w2k
    dac960nt
    dmboot
    dpti2o
    Fastfat
    hpn
    i2omp
    InCDfs
    ini910u
    IntelIde
    mraid35x
    NetDDE
    NetDDEdsdm
    Ntfs
    Pcmcia
    perc2
    perc2hib
    ql1080
    Ql10wnt
    ql12160
    ql1240
    ql1280
    RasAuto
    Simbad
    Sparrow
    symc810
    symc8xx
    sym_hi
    sym_u3
    TlntSvr
    Udfs
    ultra
    ViaIde

I apologize for the length of this post, but appreciate your help. Thanks!

7. KG4ONJ

KG4ONJ

Hello! I have this EXACT same issue with my computer, also using an on-board Realtek 8100 ethernet interface. I came in this morning to find my computer had restarted but with no network capability.

Did you find a solution? Can anyone else help???

Thanks!

8. l8rsk8r

l8rsk8r Thread Starter

Sorry for my tardiness in replying to youKG4ONJ. I have bben out of the country. My network adapter is still not being "found", is still not woring, and it's been over two months. I even went out and bought a new PCI network adapter and installed it and it STILL does not find any network adapters. I'm convinced that the "Updated BIOS" that HP sent me and I installed, is the culprit behind all of my problems. It is one that has to be flashed from Windows. I highly recommend that you do not do this all you HP owners out there!!!!!

Were you ever able to find a solution? If so, please share. Thanks

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now that you mentioned BIOS, have you checked the BIOS settings to make sure that any reference to network controller or network card or adaptor is 'ON' or 'ENABLED' or whatever seems positive?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!