XP SP2 - installing probs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

j47

I just got a new laptop and I spent the last few days installing a whole bunch of programs, setting up users etc.

Now I am having trouble installing more programs. It seems that anything I try to install that uses Windows Installer (inc Installshield) pauses/freezes at some point in the installation. (i.e. the blue bar doesnt move, and terminating the app <ctrl alt del> doesnt seem to kill it off, though kiling the MSIexec process does).

This happens on a bunch of different programs, and I have no idea how to get aroud it. I have also tried downgrading to Windows Installer v2 (the autoupdate is v3.1) but I cant

I am also having probs logging off due to Norton Net Security, dunno if this stuff is related?? Further I can't pinpoint it down to something I may have installed because I have been installing a ton of stuff onto this new machine

ANy help is appreciated

sy2

Although I'm not positive on this, I think that Installshield may lag if you have a lot of programs running in the background and don't have enough memory to really support them. Have you tried closing everything that's running on your computer (everything in the taskbar next to the clock) and then installing one of these new programs?

How long do you let it wait, also? 3 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes??

j47,

Windows installer was updated to 3.1 v2 (ver3.1.4000.2435), make sure this is the version you are running. See article HERE . Saw a similar problem listed elsewhere... fix was to uninstall the Windows installer and install the version listed in the article. Good luck, HTH

j47

hmm installation still fails even if nothing else is open

MSI.DLL version is 3.1.4000.2435. Any more ideas???

j47

ugh. maybe ill have to do a repair install?? id rather not

You may want to try running 'checkdisk'... go to 'start' > 'run', then type
chkdsk /r (note the 'space' between 'chkdsk' and the forward 'slash'). If the file system gets messed up it can cause all sorts of "gremlins".

You could also try running 'system file checker'... go to 'start' > 'run', then type
sfc /scannow (note the 'space' between 'sfc' and the forward 'slash'). You will need your XP disc if files need to be replaced.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online