1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP SP2 vs. verizon dsl

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lunachicky, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lunachicky

Lunachicky Thread Starter

Help network guys and gals!! After installing SP2, verizon dsl no longer connects. Verizon uses PPPoE. DHCP appears to be enabled, but the machine is getting a 10.x IP address?! There's two icons in Network connections panel, one which says Broadband verizon dsl, and one that says Local Area Connection. This was not the case pre-sp2. according to IPCONFIG, the LAC is getting the 10.x IP, with DHCP enabled, but the verizon broadband says "DHCP enabled: No" What the hell is going on?!?! Any thoughts, help, suggestions, words of encouragement accepted!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sound like you are getting a 10.x.x.x IP address which is not typically given out by one of Verizon's DSL modems.

How are you connecting to the modem (directly or through another router).

Can you set the broadband connection to use DHCP. This would be the typical setting.

4. Lunachicky

There's no router involved, the connection is direct from laptop into modem. Unfortunately, it is a friend's machine, so I can't access IPCONFIG right now, but I'll have her do that and send me the results. She is also going to try reinstalling the Verizon software and create a new connection from scratch.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

reinstall software. great system when you have to load more garbage onto it.

thank heaven for roadrunner, needed no software, other than setting up the router.

4+ years in support and you're not aware of the problems with xp/sp2.

6. JohnWill

I suspect the 10.x.x.x address is because the modem in question also has a NAT layer build-in. 10.x.x.x is a private network address, and will never be issued by any standard broadband service unless there's NAT between you and the world.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That is pretty obvious but the confusing part that may be causing the problem is the two different network connections that are being shown, one with and one without (verizon broadband) DHCP enabled.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You might try either:

1. Enabling DHCP on the broadband connection since typically you will need to get an IP address from the cable modem. I would try this first since the second one is removing or disabling something.

2. Disable the Local Area Connection connection.

Then re-run IPCONFIG and see what IP addresses you get assigned.

9. JohnWill

Bob, what's really confusing is that we've yet to see an actual IPCONFIG display to actually see what's going on. :)

10. Lunachicky

You guys have been wonderful!! After all this, I hate to say this, but it turned out to be all Verizon's fault!! She had moved, and they terminated her account wihtout telling her, instead of transferring it to her new address! Hence, zero connectivity.

I have learned much from this thread, and I will keep it handy whenever any of my other friends calls me for tech support regarding Verizon DSL!

Thanks to everyone!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice