1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP SP2 won't boot, says it can't read hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bensima, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bensima

bensima Thread Starter

A while ago I was cleaning out the inside of my Compaq Presario desktop (it was very dusty) and I had it laying down on it's side. Well, last night I was trying to watch a Jackie Chan DVD and stood it up so I could use the DVD. A couple minutes later, after the DVD had just begun to play, everything froze. Firefox wouldn't open, iTunes wouldn't open, Windows Media Player wouldn't close, I couldn't even stop anything with task manager. So I turned rebooted my computer manually, and it wouldn't start. The Compaq screen at the beginning would show up, and then an error saying "Cannot read disk, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart."

The only thing I can think of that could have caused this would be standing my computer up to watch the DVD damaged the hard disk. If this is the case, can it be fixed?

2. bensima

bensima Thread Starter

One thing I forgot to add. Compaq has a recovery feature. From the Compaq screen at startup you press F10 and it apparently recovers your system automatically. I don't know if this will work since my C drive can't be read anyway, but if it is what will fix my computer then it won't hurt to do it. I have all of my word docs on Google docs, my email on Gmail, and my music is on my iPod i could just copy over to my computer. Just a thought...

3. Nastrodamus

Nastrodamus

I would check the cable connections for the HHD and reseat them (make sure they are seated all the way in) and then attempt to boot the computer back up. Sounds like either a) hhd has gone bad or b) the ide cables have come lose from the hard drive or the motherboard or both. I am going with b) more because of the movement of the case and cleaning may have knocked some things around.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/603549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice