xp sp2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

icemn45

can anyone tell me if sp2 is really necessary( for windows xp home edition). i hear more horror stories about issues after installing it than before its downloaded and installed. i keep everything up to date, but i'm not sure if i really need it or not. thx

Well, I'll put it to you this way... when I first installed SP2 on my system it had an incompatibility issue with another piece of software I had installed. Bottom line? It totally trashed my system. I had to reformat/reinstall the OS from disk. Did I ever upgrade to SP 2 again. Yes, immediately after the fresh install. Why? Because it has numerous security improvements and updates that are crucial for secure computing in the Windows environment. Your SP1 system lacks all of that. Is it worth the risk? It was to me. I haven't had any problems since using SP2.

Note: You should back-up any and all important data on your system and set a current restore point before installing SP2... just in case. My back-ups saved me a lot of heartache when my system crashed.

*The above is purely my opinion. Others may have different thoughts.

Luck!

~Eric

valis

yes. it is necessary. It is a very major upgrade for both security and stability. There are a few things to be done prior, such as running an antivirus scan. You can also d/l it and install it in safe mode if you are worried. But you definitely need it.

icemn45

thx for the info. i think my plan has to be to try to save all my extra files to disk for a backup, then give it a shot. i'm surprised that i didn't open up a can of worms and get bombarded with pros and cons on this one. thx again

Nah... that won't happen unless you ask for opinions on Norton or AOL. ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online