1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP sp3: change user not allowed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ortorob, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ortorob

ortorob Thread Starter

Hello

first of all, I have to say that all worked fine since this morning. I haven't changed anything, maybe it depends on one of the latest automatic update.

Before today, when I clicked on change user (start > disconnect > change user) and chose another user, xp would let me in the other account. Now the account is loaded for a second and then I am sent to the initial screen again (the one where all account are shown): it's like XP won't allow more than one user desktop to be active at a time.

Another thing that I noticed is that there is no more indication of how many programs are running under a certain account (before it would say "x programs are running" and "y mail messages are waiting" or such things).

Basically, XP won't let me in other accounts unless I completely disconnect the first user.

How can I solve this?

Thanks

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Strange that it should just kick out all of a sudden...

You might want to check to make sure that Fast User Switching is enabled. Go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off. Check to make sure that 'Use Fast User Switching' is ticked.

3. ortorob

ortorob Thread Starter

let me recap
    - I start the PC
    - initial windows login screen pops up
    - I choose any user and I log on perfectly
    - start > change user
    - initial windows login screen. Now I choose another user: XP will start loading it but after a while I am again to the initial windows login screen. It's like that, since an account is open, it won't let me log on another account.
    - still in the windows login screen: I re-log on to the first/open account: it works
    - I disconnect this user: so at this moment there are no sessions active
    - I am sent to the windows login screen: I select any account and I can log on normally

4. ortorob

ortorob Thread Starter

Fast User Switching is enabled

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    OK then, next to check would be the Fast User Switching Compatibility service. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down the list and ensure that the service is set to startup Automatically or Manual (not disabled), and that the service is started.

Another thing to try, go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, and scroll down to Line 34, left-hand side: Restore Fast User Switching. Save the file and run it, it will ask if you want to import these settings into the Registry, click OK.

Let us know how this goes.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice