1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp sp3 Partition deleted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dbyrns, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dbyrns

dbyrns Thread Starter

installed linux on my hp mini 1010nr and erased the little partition that had sp 3 behind it. i bought an external drive to reinstall my win xp os but it says it can't install because it needs sp3, how do i fix this.

Processor: Intel Atom N270 / 1.6 GHz
    Memory: 2gigs
    Hard Drive: 8 GB Solid State Drive

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do you want to "fix"? There is no way to go back to the way you had it before, so what would you consider a solution?

XP SP3 is a different operating system from XP. You need an SP3 installation CD to install XP SP3 or repair XP SP3. But you can't repair it unless it is on an undamaged partition.

Automatically Slipstream Windows XP with SP3 and All Post-SP3 Security Hotfixes with a Single Command

XP can't be installed to an external drive.

You may be able to recover the partition if it is undamaged and still there by using Testdisk on this boot CD:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

However, if it has been partially overwritten, the contents are gone, too.

4. dbyrns

dbyrns Thread Starter

well that is what i was affrid of, so i can't put another partition there and put xp sp3 back behind since i completely erased the partition, and contints?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, you can create a new partition and install XP SP3. You just can't do it and get your old installation back by a repair if the partition is damaged. And you can't do it on an external drive.

6. dbyrns

dbyrns Thread Starter

i just want to do a new install, how would i do a new partition and put sp3 behind it? or do need a pro to do it?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/952667