XP SP3 Reinstallation Problem on Mac Bootcamp 2.2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DougFir

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For the past 2+ years I've been running a genuine copy of Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on my Apple Mini with a Intel Core Duo chip using Mac OS X Leopard which contains Apple "Bootcamp" 2.2 software for formatting a partition on the internal hard drive and then installing XP for running my legacy MS software & archives. It worked fine but without XP Restore nor Hibernation capabilities which no one at Apple can explain. Along the way problems resulted from things like downloading a HP a printer driver with a known code bug (HPZid412.sys) and various problems all my Windows editions have had since 3.0 20 years ago. Moving forward...

I reloaded Mac OS X including all updates to meet current Apple specifications. I then commenced Bootcamp's formatting a new partition specifying 15 GB on my hard drive and reinstallation of my XP SP2 CD without a hitch, same as a few years ago. Clicking the Keys icon, MS activated my installation swiftly via the internet.

Without having installed any anti-virus software, going to what seems a new Microsoft automatic Update web site, I allowed down load of an Active X feature that scanned to see what was needed to bring my XP SP2 system to current specifications. As requested, I first allowed download of a package of 3 programs to enable future downloads to run smoothly(?): Installer 3.1, Validation Tool and KB898461. I restarted the computer then checked Auto Update again. It told me it wanted to down load SP3 before 64 other updates as a later, separate task. (I have no idea how updates between SP2 & SP3 fit into this mix, maybe all included in SP3?) After automatic download of SP3 (about 69 MB) my computer shifted into install Wizard then stopped to report: "D:/Ntdect.com down load error." After trying various things I gave up and started installing XP SP2 via Bootcamp again from the beginning, following instructions very carefully. During this process I noted a brief msg appear of a 3rd party installer being involved.

During subsequent installation attempts a window popped up with a red dot w/white X stating "There is not enough disk space on C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ to install Service Pack 3. Setup requires a minimum of 4 additional megabytes of free space or if you also want to archive the files for uninstallation, Setup requires 4 additional megabytes of free space. Free additional space on your hard disk and then try again." After quitting, in Windows Explorer, right clicking C: for properties shows over 10 GB available from the 15 GB partition in the virgin installation.

Reloading XP SP2 yet another time, I carefully down loaded the 316 MB SP3 file from a Microsoft web site "for IT professionals and developers." After clicking Start, Run, I carefully gave my hard drive's address for this down loaded file before clicking OK. The install wizard stopped again after about the same amount of time as before giving the same error msg in the above paragraph.

My goal is achieve a fully up to date XP system with SP3 + all curent updates since SP3's release. The Apple folks seem to take pride in not knowing anything about Windows even though the Bootcamp feature was part of why I bought a Mac and it used to work pretty well. Can you suggest what a computer dummy like me I might try next? I would be eternally grateful for help making this XP system function again. Dave
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online