1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP sp3, slow domain login (not DNS issue, not slow at "applying computer settings")?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by noternet, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noternet

noternet Thread Starter

Hi all, new member here,
    I have a quick question with a long explanation.

This is a Windows XP sp3 domain connected PC with one specific user, which all of a sudden takes 2.5mins to log in to the domain, Where it used to take just about 20 seconds. Other users on the same PC is all OK (20sec login)

This is not the usual where it hangs at "applying computer settings" or "personal settings" it's after those two has passed that it just hangs for a couple of minutes.
    All i get is the mouse pointer (not even hourglass) and the desktop wallpaper for about 2-3 minutes. When it finally logs in everything is as quick as you would expect that spec of PC to be (1,6ghz Sempron, 1gb RAM, 40gb IDE-100 HDD)

I've tried taking off all non necesary autostarting services. (even the antivirus just to test)
    I've taken it off the domain and re-adding it with new computer name.
    I've had it on static IP (with each of our 2 DNS as primary at separate times)
    I've tried adding that specific user to the domain admins group.
    None of these made any difference.

Now i'm stumped, where do I go from here?
    Many thanks in advance.

2. noternet

noternet Thread Starter

Never mind. Found it.
    I had Home folder connect to H: \\misspelled\
    plus i had it in a .bat for that user wich was spelled correctly.

It's always the easy solutions :)
    Sorry to bother you all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/782463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice