1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp SP3

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrtubs, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrtubs

mrtubs Thread Starter

Hi
    Is it worth installing SP3 on my XP operating system. It is working OK without it.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ian

2. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Its entirely your choice! I would say yes as i'm the type of person that likes everything up to date. I have not had any problems either

3. TOGG

TOGG

You could search here and see the many threads by people that have had problems, and probably nearly as many from those that haven't!

SP3 isn't a Critical patch (unless you haven't been doing routine patching) and any 'improvements ' it provides appear to be limited to those that have networks, Full details can be obtained from the PDF document that you can download here; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en

This is Microsoft's own summary of what it contains;
    "Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system."

I myself haven't installed it because a) I'm still on dialup and it's a very big d/l, and b) I don't want 'all previously released updates'. I use the Custom option when doing updates and only have the Critical ones. I have no use for .NET framework, Silverlight or any of the other goodies MS think I need.

I have seen suggestions that it will be mandatory in the future in order to obtain updates for XP. I doubt that that could include future Critical updates but will wait and see.

4. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Good post Togg!

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Ian:

In a nutshell, if you have XP SP2 installed and have kept up-to-date with the 100+ post-SP2 critical updates, it's not mandatory that you install the SP3 upgrade.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. worf51

worf51

i installed sp3 and have had no problems whatsoever .......i suppose it is up to the individual though

7. mrtubs

mrtubs Thread Starter

Many thanks for all your helpful answers. I have now installed SP3 and so far so good.
    Thanks again
    Ian

8. arcticphoenix

arcticphoenix

....some of the apps on my rig would work correctly itunes itl library files got lost/erased, speed was lowered by a few notches.....after a few hits there a slaps there(installs).....pc was workin near performance before sp3...still not able to fix itunes itunes library.itl files...says they're lost or cant be written....note itunes was working before update to sp3..........

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice