1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp stalled startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by swellfella, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swellfella

swellfella Thread Starter

My computer stalls after loading mem. I get Mem OK then a stalled screen. I push F8 key it then boots up OK with no more problems. This is recent. I had installed some apps; uninstalled them but the stalled startup continues.

2. mfay50

mfay50

Are there other indications that the BIOS is correctly identifying the hardware; or does it go past that? It almost sounds as if the computer is waiting for a response from you as to which operating system is supposed to boot. You can check this by right clicking My Computer, left click Properties, left click the Advanced tab, then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.

3. swellfella

Much thanx--did as you say: Startup and Rec recognizes os as winxp pro (fas detect). Any way to further verify BIOS os settings? Asuming all is well , any further ideas as to where the snag lies?

4. mfay50

mfay50

Is there a time to wait for the OS selection in the Startup and Recovery? If you have more than one OS, the default is 30 seconds. You can decrease that.

5. swellfella

I have one os. My waiting period is as you say 30. However, the problem seems to have worked itself out. But good to know areas to check out should it return. Thanks much.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!