1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Stalls before drawing desktop (even in safe mode, last known good config., etc)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wxguy1, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wxguy1

wxguy1 Thread Starter

Need help with a friend's computer...

Her computer gets through the BIOS boot and through the Windows XP loading screen (the Windows XP black screen with the green bar that moves). The blue XP screen (which normally is the 'login' screen if more than 1 account is on the OS, though this one only has 1 account, I think) then shows up, but it then stops -- hard drive access ceases and all hope is lost. Safe Mode doesn't do anything, as the same situations occurs. In fact, all of the modified boot methods (Last Known Best Config., safe mode with command prompt, etc etc etc) do the same thing -- loading ceases when the blue XP screen comes up... I've tried using the Recovery Console and chkdsk, but it doesn't come up with any errors. I also, just to be sure, ran 'fixboot', though that (as expected) had no affect... Any help?

2. natcom

natcom

3. wxguy1

wxguy1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply... When I completed the first step of replacing the /system, /software, etc folders, and rebooted, I ran into a more serious issue now... When XP gets past the black loading screen, I get a box that pops up and says: "When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided for the current password is incorrect." This message appears for about 2-3 seconds, then the computer reboots. It seems that this creates a boot-load-message-reboot loop that can persist indefinately... HELP!

4. wxguy1

wxguy1 Thread Starter

Now when I try to go into Recovery Console to do anything, it doesn't accept the blank Administrator Password! Before, the admin password was blank (just hit enter)... Now, it says the password is not valid and asks me for the password... UGH!

5. natcom

natcom

some how there is a admin password and it most be reset i cant really help you about the password for security reasons but if all you want is save the data get another drive in there and install windows on the new drive and setup the old drive as slave

6. wxguy1

wxguy1 Thread Starter

That'd work, but I'm on a laptop, so that isn't an easy option. Also, when I went into the System Recovery Console, the admin password I used was blank. In other words, when it asked for the admin password, I just hit enter, so I'm assuming the network password is "{empty}". How can this change? Is there an XP default admin password?

I completed the first step in the "Windows XP Crashed?" article at http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/cw_boot_toot2.htm ... This may be related, when I went to replace the windows/system32/config/system folder with the windows/repair/system folder, it said that the file/folder could not be found. So, apparently, there isn't a 'system' folder in the windows/repair directory... Because of this, I just kept the old windows/system32/config/system directory, but replaced with software, sam, security, and default folders with the same-named folders in the 'repair' directory... At any rate, is there anything I can do on the laptop other than consider the XP install hosed, and reinstall the OS?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!