1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP start up failure continually restarts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bsda4design, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsda4design

bsda4design Thread Starter

My XP Home laptop starts up right through to the welcome screen and even plays the jingle. A blue screen appears, too briefly to read the content, and the system re-starts. This continues until powered off.
    In Safe mode, the Diagnostic for Windows the message "CreaFile Cpqdfw.sys failed. Code is 2." appears. The same appears using the HP Diagnostics Configuration Record tool.
    The Recovery CD that came with the machine warns that all data will be lost if the recovery action proceeds. I have software that is on this machine that is essential and don't have (cannot find!) the installation disks therefore a complete re-installation is not an option.
    I have ran CHKDSK in safe mode. All appeared OK.
    Nothing new has been installed and it happened immediately after trying to turn the laptop on when I did not note it was unplugged and had zero battery capacity. (i.e. dead.) Connected PSU and tried to start machine and this problem started.
    XP Service Pack 3
    HP/Compaq Evo N1015v laptop.
    The laptop is about 8 years old but has been fine up to now.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it is that old, not having your system backed up means that you will lose everything soon. All hard drives fail, and usually long before 8 years. That is one possibility for what has already happened.

You could try disabling that driver in the Recovery Console:

disable cpqdfw

Be sure to record the machine's response to that command so that you will be able to reverse it.

3. bsda4design

bsda4design Thread Starter

Hard disk shows healthy status in disk management report.
    System Restore to an earlier date did not solve the problem.
    The blue screen appears to show a stop notification and several zero's and possibly some xx's. As noted, it appears too briefly to read.
    The related "cpqdfw" only pops up when in safe mode and trying to run the compaq diagnostics. It is probably not started in Safe mode (not listed in computer management services) therefore disabling it does not suggest a cure.
    Any more ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!