1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP startup and shutdown sounds refuse to play

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TexasWestern, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TexasWestern

TexasWestern Thread Starter

yesterady they just played and cut out half way, now the startup and shutdown down sounds wont play at all, i restored the bios, and the drivers to the realtek ac97 sound card to factory default, yet even doing that, the startup and shutdown sounds refuse to play anymore...... do radeon 9600xt graphics cards cause these startup and shutdown sounds to not work correctly? or is it something else? is there anyway to fix this problem so that i can not only play these sounds again, but also play them to thier full duration, and not just cut out half way? also, every other sound works, just not the shutdown and startup sounds

i have direct x 9.0c and am not sure if the drivers for that are conflicting with it, sandra says no, but it also says that the drivers for my ac97 audio card are obsolete, yet when i go to update them, it can find no updates.... even installing the generic ac97 audio drivers that were released a month ago do not solve the problem, anyone who can offer help so my startup and shutdown sounds not only work, but play the whole file again would be greatly appreciated!

bill Hemb

2. Topato

Topato

is the "Volume for system sounds" turned all the way up in the sounds control panel?

3. TexasWestern

all of the volume controls are basically intertwined and are controlled by the volume control in the systray. i looked at all the advanced options and didn't come across a "volume for system sounds" tab or anything named that... however all of the sounds do work, just not the startup and shutdown sounds, which is why i am going crazy, because all of the other sounds work just fine....

Bill Hemb

4. Topato

Topato

In the Sounds menu in the control panel, right below where you pick what sounds you want to play for start up shutdown erroe etc. there is a system sounds volume slider

5. TexasWestern

nope, no slider, just a place to save sound schemes, choose sounds for the different functions, and a place to browse for sounds other than defalut sounds. i have a realtek ac97 audio card that came with the machine... funny thing is even with the bios restored (which helped the framerates in games and the videocard, but not this :p ), and the originallly installed sound drivers in it again, the sounds for startup and shutdown didn't come back, though they are in the list and can be previwed......i dont want to have to restore it to a previous day where they were working if i dont have to, but am afraid even to get the start and shut sounds working back to where they cut off the sounds rather than not play them at all.... then go from there about how to get my machine to play the entire start and shutdown sounds....

Bill Hemb

6. Topato

Topato

Through all of this i ask why? Why are these sounds so important?

7. Topato

Topato

oh try this
    I'm still leaning toward a codec problem. Have you tried removing the Audio codecs in Device Manager and updating or reloading them (since they are so vital to the system, you may not be able to remove them, but Update should still be available)?

Check in Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware, Audio Codecs, Properties, Properties tab. Look especially at the 2 APCDM entries. Check the Properties of those. Be sure the Microsoft one has number 1 priority. Click the Settings button for it and click the Autoconfigure button.

Does the panel look like this?
    http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/Clipboard01.jpg

8. Topato

Topato

9. cnclathrop

cnclathrop

if you have a lot of programs loading this might be interupting your sound card may be try to disable a few start up items in msconfig

10. Zxero

Zxero

Is it all sounds or just the shutdown sounds? If it's just the shutdown sounds I don't see a reason to make such a fuss, not that you don't have the right to or anything, but I think your kind of wasting your time on something very minimal.

11. TexasWestern

well it's not that the sounds are terribly important, but they are not working like they should be, which means there is something wrong with a file associated with it. they weren't working right from the off (start and shutdown sounds), and now they dont work at all.

the sounds stopped working after i installed a windows theme using a windows 98 based program called desktop architect. after i loaded the theme i made, the start and shutdown sounds not only didn't work correctly, but not at all. i am still wondering why the sounds wouldn't play thier whole duration to begin with.......

i have tried sandra, bios fix, norton, easy cleaner, and reinstalling sound drivers as well as putting new ones in, and thus came here. hopefully this will explain the problem more. i am not sure if anyone here knows what desktop architect is, but i have a feeling it terminally screwed up something i may not be able to fix without reinstalling windows or maybe even doing a reformat/reinstall....

aside from the sounds not totally working, they USED to cut out about 20-30 secs into the files, which i know isn't right either...i'm starting to think this realtek ac97 sound card coupled with the new directx 9.0c and a radeon 9600xt graphics card conflicts it too much, and may need to get a better sound card to eliminate the problem, as well as stop poppping sounds in flight simulator.....

Bill Hemb

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have NeroMix or Corel software installed? What OS (You may have said, but I don't see it at a glance)?

13. TexasWestern

i know i dont have any corel software installed, i know that's a graphics program, as far as neromix, i have no idea what that is, but cannot recall it being on my system.... btw, i have windows xp, the sounds from the theme files i had in windows 98 worked fine in 98se, but they didn;t (the startup and shutdown sounds) work properly in xp, and was extremely dissapointed as it took me a long time to make those themes, and would like the sounds which took the most time to edit work the way they were intended, play the whole way through, not cut out halfway......they used to cut out, now they dont even work anymore as exlpained in the post above yours.

i am still going to kick myself if desktop architect permanantly damaged something so that only a reformat/reinstall will at least get the sounds back to where they cut out, then i'll go from there if they still do that to fix the sounds so they play all the way. noramlly i wouldn't care about these sounds, but with the windows themes i made, these sounds make a huge mood setting that is totally lost if they dont play, not to mention wasted time for sound files i made for a theme, that now wont work in xp, but did in 98se...... strange thing is, all the other sounds, some a quite long for program sounds (5-7 secs) and they play fine vs the default shorter sounds in XP, but only the startup and shutdown sounds are affected in this manner...

Bill Hemb

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, you can try my fix anyway. Might help, won't hurt.

Go to Start > Run, and type: regedit.

Click directly on HKEY_CURRENT_USER in the left pane. In the right pane will appear a default entry. Right-click the word "Default" and choose "Remove". You will get a message that all entries could not be removed. Clcik OK. The damaged entry (if there was one) will immediately be replaced by XP. Close regedit and try your sounds.

15. TexasWestern

i'll have to try that and tell you what happens :)

also curious, what registry key should i look for this in? the one for the realtek ac97 soundcard, or something else?

i found a "sound" folder under hkey current user /control panel/ sound, is this it? or is there more than one i need to change? maybe not the right one to change alltogether? :p

Bill Hemb ......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!