1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Startup Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by outofsync, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. outofsync

outofsync Thread Starter

When I try to start up the computer, everything works until after the XP logo loading screen. After that, there's a long long black screen that eventually turns into a blue error screen that says "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal". I have no clue whats going on. All I did yesterday was install battlefield 2 and spill a bit of water on my keyboard. Could either of those things have caused this?

Any help is extremely appreciated, I just got FEAR and want to play it quite badly.

2. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

You spilled water on your keyboard?! It is possible that the keyboard may be damaged, but I'm not sure if it would go so far as to BSoD on you. Have you tried swapping keyboards?

I have Battlefield 2 and just got Special Forces (can play fine as long as my computer doesn't green-line on me) but those games couldn't cause a BSoD like that I don't think.

Can you get into safe mode? I'd try swapping out the keyboard first if you actually did spill water on it. Who knows? Maybe you short circuited something there. :eek:

3. outofsync

outofsync Thread Starter

Safe mode works fine, already switched keyboards and all, nothing helped. :mad:

4. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

I suppose you could try uninstalling BF2 from Safe Mode, but I have a feeling that won't help.

5. valis

valis Moderator

when you get hte bsod, after it states driver_irq_not_less_than, it will have some hexadecimal. Stuff like 0000006F(0000007E blah blah blah). Post that here please.

Also, at the bottom, it might have the name of a file, most likely a .sys file. If so, post that here as well, as that is what is causing it. But definitely post the hex.

v

6. outofsync

outofsync Thread Starter

Sorry I abandoned this thread, after a while of just trying to boot into regular mode over and over it worked. But, alas, I have the problem again. The hex thing is *** STOP: 0x000000D1 (ox20000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF748578D8). After a recent attempt, below the hex it said the following:
    *** atpi.sys- adress F748578D8 base at F547e000, datestamp 41107b4d

7. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Googling atpi.sys didn't turn up much at all. :(

Try updating your drivers for pretty much everything (sound, video, etc.) and see if it improves anything.

8. outofsync

outofsync Thread Starter

I should actually mention this before we go any further, for the past 2 nights or so my computer's been on, and all last night it was installing something. The error says that in order to fix it I should un install any newly installed software, but last time I had the error the only thing I installed was BF2. I never installed it and everything eventually worked out. So unless theres some huge error with the new leisure suit larry game, than I dont think its to be much of a concern.

I'll try to update the drivers, thanks.

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

It's quite possably Atapi.sys instead of atpi.sys...

What I would do is ( assuming it is XP ) boot it to Safe Mode and do a System Restore...

10. valis

valis Moderator

what is your os? And was it installing sp2 last night, if you have xp? Or have you already installed sp2?

11. outofsync

outofsync Thread Starter

It is xp, and it is atapi.sys. Sorry about that. I must also mention that, as I've been turning the computer on and off (because last time, after some 30 times it worked) the error message sometime changes from driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, and regular irql_not_less_or_equal.

I'm using xp, and I believe that sp2 has been installed for some time now. [By the way, thanks for coming back to the thread :)]

12. outofsync

outofsync Thread Starter

Alright, I tried a system restore, but it came up with the same error.

On the error screen, it said something about disabling BIOS memory options, would that be a possible solution?

13. valis

valis Moderator

no prob....that's what we're all here for....

1. need to know the EXACT wording of the error, if it's irq_not_less_than, or one of the other fun ones.....
    2. When does it occur? Only at bootup?
    3. Does it occur in safe mode?

the main thing is the error code, verbatim. That will allow someone here to figure out what your pc is telling you.

v

14. outofsync

outofsync Thread Starter

Well, system restore works for a period of time, but if I ever have to restart or turn off the computer, I get the error again. Its a pain to have to go into safe mode and do system restore every time I get on. Safe mode works fine, though,

Anyway, the exact error message is as follows.

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

*** stop:0x000000d1(0x00000004,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xf7sc57d8)

*** atapi.sys_adress 575C57d8 base at F746E000, datestamp 41107b4d

15. valis

valis Moderator

Here is what microsoft says about it.

Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Interpreting the Message
    This Stop message has four parameters:

Memory referenced.
    IRQL at time of reference.
    Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
    Address that referenced memory.
    Resolving the Problem
    For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
    For more information about Stop 0xD1 messages, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources. Search using keywords winnt, 0x000000D1, and 0xD1.

updated and comaptiable drivers are very important when running XP. Check your hardware with the HCL www.microsoft.com/hcl If you hardware is not on the list it does not mean it won't work it just means it hasn't been tested by Microsoft and they won't Guarantee it to be compatible. If it not on the list check the manufacturer's website fo an up to date XP driver, if they don't have one you may be out of luck. This goes for motherboards and the bios too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/428148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice