1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Startup Help (pci.sys, 0x7e)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by StevenX, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenX

StevenX Thread Starter

Hi everyone, my little brother's laptop has kind of died all of a sudden. When it is first switched on, it gets to the "windows did not start normally," screen with the choice of starting in safe mode, normally, last known good configuration, etc. Every option leads to a blue screen with the error:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    STOP: 0x000000ED (0x823696A0, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I've googled this and searched the forums and most places say to run windows recovery to check the hard disc for errors. If I put a bootable XP cd in the drive, Windows begins to load all of the setup files but DOES NOT get to the "welcome to setup," menu which is where I need to get to choose the repair option. Instead, another blue screen appears with the following errors:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF85480BF, 0xF8994208, 0xF8993F08)
    pci.sys - Adress F85480BF base at F8541000, Datestamp 3b7d855c.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can solve this problem? :(
    Thanks in advance.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I suggest getting a hard drive diagnostic disk from the manufacturer of the hard drve and run it to check the hard drive for errors.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice