XP startup help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NES D Padder

If anyone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated. When I get on my computer (xp) it brings me to a black screen with options, but every option brings me to a blue page. This is what the page said.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps.

Check to make sure all new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware of software manufacturer for any windows updates you need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as catching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable componets, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8132C618, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

My computer had frozen, i shut it off then this happened. I did choose safe mode, and I wasn't installing anything at the time. I havent installed hardware in a lond time. Thanks for any help you can give me!

I've come across this before. Make sure you have your OS disk and go through these steps:

1.Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2.When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4.When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5.At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6.At the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

NES D Padder

I have another question, which CD is it? Is it the Reinstalling Dell Tools System Software?

Actually, the Windows XP is the OS disk. When your computer boots, it should ask you to "Press any key to boot from CD" or something like that. Make sure you do that, and that will take you to the setup menu.

NES D Padder

When the first loading bar comes up (the one that comes on beacuse i had to shut it off manually comes up, it says to press F2 for setup. I pressed it and it entered a list of options. The OS installation is off, should it be on? And there doesnt seem to be a "Welcome To Setup" screen. I don't know I am kind of computer impared.

I think you might have pressed the "BIOS" screen..try rebooting again and let it boot passed the F2 option and look for a black screen with this saying at the top left side....

"Press any key to boot from CD"

When you see this above message then press a key....

Hope this helps!

OK I found the reinstalling XP CD
Are you sure this is a true Windows XP install cd? Or, is it an image file that Dell gave you to reinstall an image of the HD as originally shipped?

NES D Padder

it says Xp reinstallation...i used it once because my computer was messed up before. But i was a different scenerio.

A lot of times what the vendor gives you is a cd that contains an image of the hard drive as they shipped it. That cd will restore the image file. They are not XP install Cds.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online