XP Stuck Rebooting but boots to Safemode

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Skurvy_Pirate

I recently had troubles getting my Lite-On optical drive to run in DMA mode. I updated the JMicron drivers for it and it was working fine. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the JMicron update had two options, one for SCSI and one for Standard IDE. I did the first one and everything was working then I did the second one and now XP won't start. I don't know if it is just chance or what. XP just keeps restarting after the logo with the status bar. I have tried unchecking the "Automatically Restart" under system failure options to see if there is a blue screen but it still just restarts. I have also tried a system recovery to back a week ago to no success. When starting in safe mode and loading drivers a message comes up that says "ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys" or something like that. I don't know if that has anything to do with it either. I have the minidump files but can't read them either because I don't have the right program. Any help or ideas would be very nice! I'm so frusterated right now! :mad:
Thanks!

bonk

Banned
Can you get into Device Manager in Safemode and delete the drivers for that drive?

Skurvy_Pirate

I can uninstall the drive yes. I haven't tried that. But I did try unplugging it so it wasn't detected. I will try uninstalling and post back.

Skurvy_Pirate

Well it finally started giving me a bluescreen and the error was with a display driver (ati2mtag.sys). I had recently updated to omega radeon drivers and I think that is the problem. I moved that driver to the desktop and it booted into regular mode. Now I just need to fix my display drivers.

bonk

Banned
Understood.......I have had the same error message with some of those drivers...I'm using Omega (2.6.12)

bonk

Banned
Yep......They are the only ones that will apart from the original ones...with these drivers it allows me to play some games I otherwise couldn't.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online